Do Americans use metric system?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AS I RECALL, the Imperial Navy measured airspeed in knots but altitude and distance in meters (except where meters extended to nautical miles!)
Oh, and IJN kept Tokyo Time world-wide, apparently. But hey, I'm in Arizona where we never go on Daylight, which suits us just find but confused the bejabbers out of everyone sle.

As a rule of thumb, for mental thinking.

....converting Fahrenheit to Centigrade we always minused 30 and halved it. Good enough for approximation.

Where I live we use this.....beer will start to freeze at -2°C, time to put on a sweater though I still wear shorts up to -20°ish

You must have Scottish ancestry......:)

When I lived there, they would have the barbeque out at about 5c and be walking around in shorts, a tee-shirt and with bare feet!

You must have Scottish ancestry......:)

When I lived there, they would have the barbeque out at about 5c and be walking around in shorts, a tee-shirt and with bare feet!

Where I work the lowest recorded temp is 22C and highest is 32C so anything under about 24 is jacket weather. Boring but nice except when the humidity is 90% and above.
Home has a temperature range for 5C to 45C which is not so pleasant and anything below 20 is jacket weather.

cat-in-the-snow.jpg

Where I work the lowest recorded temp is 22C and highest is 32C so anything under about 24 is jacket weather. Boring but nice except when the humidity is 90% and above.
Home has a temperature range for 5C to 45C which is not so pleasant and anything below 20 is jacket weather.

Sounds like a similar workplace I was at before, when it was in the low 20's (centigrade) the locals were freezing their nuts off ....Nigeria.
And, oddly enough home climate is almost the same as yours! (Cyprus)

I worked for a shop that made paper machinery. We made widers that wound up at the end
of the paper making machine. We ourselves had 60 inch rolls to test on the WIT WOT machine.
I grew up across the street from a paper mill that made U.S. currency paper. In the late 90s we
were taught metric, I personally was told NOT to convert and shown metric rules and tape measures.
I can use both and to this day use my Starrett metric scale, why? Because I wore out the lines on
my 6 inch pocket scale. John
Starrett Scales.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like a similar workplace I was at before, when it was in the low 20's (centigrade) the locals were freezing their nuts off
In the Souks in Saudi Arabia in winter I used to sometimes bump into my co workers from the Phillipines. They were in jackets with fleece lined hats on while I was in my shorts and tee shirt, They were shivering and running to the toilet and considered myself and my mate to be supermen. Human perception of normal temperature can be comical at times.

In the Souks in Saudi Arabia in winter I used to sometimes bump into my co workers from the Phillipines. They were in jackets with fleece lined hats on while I was in my shorts and tee shirt, They were shivering and running to the toilet and considered myself and my mate to be supermen. Human perception of normal temperature can be comical at times.

KSA.
After doing two attachments there, it was enough for me. I would never recommend that place to anybody. Flying over the Red Sea was nice though.

Attachments

• Ensco 76 003.jpg
    Ensco 76 003.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 85
Freedom units v the metric system 😂
Americans don't want our King but they love an imperial measure

The UK isn't much different. Fuel in litres, distances in miles. Altitude in feet, cubic metres, etc.
But I'm 20 years out of date, we learned both at school way before. Are kids taught only metric now?

I worked for a shop that made paper machinery. We made widers that wound up at the end
of the paper making machine. We ourselves had 60 inch rolls to test on the WIT WOT machine.
I grew up across the street from a paper mill that made U.S. currency paper. In the late 90s we
were taught metric, I personally was told NOT to convert and shown metric rules and tape measures.
I can use both and to this day use my Starrett metric scale, why? Because I wore out the lines on
my 6 inch pocket scale. John
View attachment 553339

I worked in a paper mill for 22yrs, 20 of them running a Voith winder. We measured the width of the paper roll in millimeters and the diameter in inches :p

I worked in a paper mill for 22yrs, 20 of them running a Voith winder. We measured the width of the paper roll in millimeters and the diameter in inches :p

The same as car tyres.....:)

width in mm (then aspect ratio as percentage of the width) and dia in inches. :facepalm:

Last edited:
I made Lenox CSS and HSR sheeters and winders, before that Beloit pulpers and refiners. 22 years in paper
machinery, 3 years wet end, 19 years finishing end. My dad was a "beater engineer" in a paper mill
as was my grandfather. "Smelly" buisiness! LOL. Learned metric at Beloit to compete with Jagenburg. John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back