Do Americans use metric system?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've used both inches and metric for computations; the latter are easier.

As for metric vs Imperial: do note even Germany and Russia adopted the metric system even as they defeated the French.

The goal on a football (soccer) pitch is 8 yards by 8 feet. What would a metric goal be? Same for most sports.

When did they do that?

As far as I can tell, the Germans were using metric prior to WW2.

Germany went metric in the 1870s, he's probably referring to the Franco-Prussian war.

Speaking on our own education system and measurements, I've had a new mechanic trainee that had to ask which was bigger, 7/8 or 15/16 ?

He didn't appear to have a problem with metric sizes.

Last edited:
That's not a drawback of the metric system, but just your perception of it.

My calipers don't care, just a push of a button.
My wife talks CM, I talk mm....... conflict!!!!!!!
Now, spanners, WhatThe, it's and END wrench!!!!!
Not a jig saw, Sabre Saw!!!!!!!

I'd suggest that is from experience and familiarity.

Imperial Russia kept there own measures which is why early Mosin sights are in arshins. It was the ussr which converted to metric.

The issue is not individual use of measures but international or even workshop use. Getting the two mixed up can create havoc and some projects have failed when the two have mixed up.

For the Germans, during unification, before which every nanostate had its own units.

The French left a lot in their wake, even after the defeat of the Napoleonic wars.

That last is very true. See, for example Mars Climate Orbiter Failure Board Releases Report

Last edited:
As a mechanic, I've found that metric hardware is a pain in the ass unlike USS/SAE sizes.
I agree, but only for us "metric immigrant" dinosaurs. The "metric native" types don't seem to have that kind of problem.
The airline shop I worked in had two guys who, though Americans, had grown up overseas, and they seemed to flow smoothly between metric, SAE, Whitworth, and British Standard with nary a cuss word heard. And aging Dart engines on a Dutch airframe along with Lucas and Dowty accessories could present some dimensional challenges.
Cheers,
Wes

Wuzak & Gumbyk,

I hear what your saying about being an issue with familiarity, and it makes sense. But for me I guess its maybe that since a lot of Imperial units are based on being close to normal everyday, easily accessible things* it make it easier for me to grasp not only those units but also units derived from them - like pressure in terms of psi or psf.

In the SI system it's not quite so easy for me to visualize some items, especially in terms of pressure, especially when you realize that a Newton is roughly the same weight as a typical apple. As such when you start talking about pressures of typical things like oil pressure, air pressure and steel or aluminum material properties you end up having to put those values in terms of kilo- or even Mega-Newtons/square meter (or kilo- and Mega-Pascals)

Pat

* Specifically, although units like a inch, foot and yard are notionally based on the length of a hand foot and arm of some "King" in olden times, my foot arm and hand are probably close enough to those values for making quick estimates.

Last edited:

That is because Metric is easy.

If you can count, you can do metric.

1, 2, 3...

0.1, 0.2, 0.3...

My wife used to teach at a college here in the US. She is from Germany, and was appalled that she had to waste the first week of class teaching kids who are supposed to be ready for college how the metric system works. It's counting numbers, and knowing how many units make up another specific unit.

There is nothing difficult about it...

My 7 year-old gets it... and works in inches and feet as well as metric (much to his teacher's disgust)

Not to mention that it is all done exactly the way we count, by 10s and rather than having separate names for every unit that really tell you nothing about the measurement, like: TUN. What is it?, How big is it?, What does it measure?
The Latin prefixes are in common language: DECI- (Decade, Dime,etc.) CENTI- (Century) and MILLI- (Millennium, Million)
The Greek ones are perhaps a bit unusual DEKA- HECTO- because of computers the larger like KILO-, MEGA-, GIGA- AND TERA- are probably familiar even if they don't know exactly what number to assign each.
In the other direction MICRO- is certainly familiar (that's why they call it a MICROscope), NANO- is also perhaps familiar from science fiction NANObots or NANites, and PICO- proibly not well known.
So when I see the word CENTI-METER I know that it is 1/100 of the base unit METER a measurement of length. KILO-LITER is 1000 of the base unit LITER a measure of volume. MICRO-GRAM is 1/1,000,000 of the base unit GRAM a measure of mass.
Beats me how it could be any simpler

Users who are viewing this thread