**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MK.I - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Going through the net I foud this profile if you would be interested in....

Swordfish 838sqdn_.jpg

Did a quick troll through the web and couldn't find the correct style of code. Also found a photo of V4719/K from 837sqn. out of Yarmouth, N.S. but unfortunately the "K" is black with white outline.

Geo

According to the profile in the post #21 the code look OK. If the V4388 was 2X I don't think there is a problem.

Sorry Wojtek, I meant I was looking for the correct style of decal. I even looked at 1/72 and 1/32, hoping I could scale up or down.

Geo

I see.

However.. if you meant the Swordfish plane you could try the Xtradecal sheet of markings. The "K" from serials may fit while the one for the fin seems to be too large as these decal markings are for 1/32 scale. If not you may try to paint the letter. There are two ways for making the letter at least. It is very easy for the one. I may make paper masks for you. The printing and cutting them with a scalpel blade shouldn't be a problem.

Swordfish_K.jpg

Swordfish_K_a.jpg

XD32014.jpg

The picture source: the net...

Last edited:
I appreciated the offer Wojtek but I'll just leave the aircraft codeless. Brush painting and masking, while doable at the best of times, can lead to problems, especially when white is involved. (We won't talk about the ****-up over on the "What's on The Workbench" thread right now). Gluing and painting the innards. Trying to find some cockpit shots that show the sticky outy bits. Then I can finish, clear, weather and flat. I was going to touch up the transmitter(?) after i saw the photo but it's going to be buried under the gunners position.

006.JPG

Painting the metal parts that ran over the fabric was a right pain in the keester.

007.jpg
008.JPG

A quick check showed that once the tubular sections were added to the cockpits sides and fuselage closed up would make the injector marks less visible.

Geo

While waiting for the first coat of paint to dry on the tubular part of the cockpit I decided to test drive my magnifying visor and add some spark plugs to the engine.

a.jpg

Geo

Thanks Wojtek. According to a few builds, the cockpit line up with the fuselage halves is the finickiest part of the build so while waiting for the cockpit top deck to dry I checked the fit of a few parts....so far so good.

001.JPG

Geo

Thank you sir. Waiting for paint to dry so I thought I would hit a P.E. part. Not sure what this is but I think it's part of the cowling brace. Tamiya wants you to place it on the plastic bending jig.

001.JPG

Tamiya wants you to swear a lot for about 5 minutes attempting to do this. If the etch part moves ever so slightly, it will slide down the jig and become locked. Guess how many times I found this out? You don't have that many appendages.

002.JPG

All that to achieve this...

015.JPG

When painted and ready for installation, the arms get cut off the jig, the P.E. part is reversed and glued to the jig.

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Wojtek, I don't know why I never found that site with all the searching I've done this week. Adding some paint might flesh it out a bit but I'll have to live with it.

Geo

Just caught up to you Geo. Some good detective work going on here. I had my Tamiya Swordfish MkII lined up for this build and had the PE parts finally arrive today from Hong Kong after waiting for a month. Now I have doubts that I will get to it but, in the meantime, I'll be watching with interest.

That jig? Yeah, f!ck that!

Thanks Karl. It is a nice kit Andy. In all the builds I've checked on, two have had a slight problem with the cockpit/fuselage fit and one had problems with the wings in the open position. Waiting for paint to dry on the etch parts and the engine will be done. Adding the plug wires wasn't one of my better decisions though after 30 minutes, they are done.

023.JPG
024.JPG

I just need to add the gun mounts to the upper cockpit decking and then I can close the fuselage up. I've seen them colored interior green and a darkish color(Tamiya calls for semi-gloss black) so I'm going to go through my books and majority rules.

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back