**** DONE: 1/48 Fiat Cr.42 - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fellas for the kudos on this nice little kit. More progress has been made with the cockpit complete and the fuselage halves have been joined. In addition, the lower wings have been mated to the fuselage.

I think the next step will be to paint this aircraft. I know there is still lots of construction but being a biplane I believe the upper wing would get in the way if I assemble first and paint later. If anyone can advise otherwise please let me know. As I mentioned this is my first biplane build so any tips would be helpful. The c/s will involve a yellow cowling ( not a problem as it is still separate) but the camo will involve four different colours.

Anyhow, here are pics of the progress to date.....

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

PS I tried my hand at making seat belts out of masking tape. They look like sh*% but are still way better looking than the decal that came with the kit and won't be that visible once the top wing is in place.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

Yep, I agree. I also try to get a representation of the seat belts and if someone get in too close, I hit 'em with a hockey stick.

Geo

I think the seat belts look great and I definitely see lots of improvements in each of your builds, Jeff! Funny how stubby and short the lower wings are!

On Tuesday past I was able to give everything an overall grey spray which will also be the underside surface colour.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

I plugged all the strut attachment holes so that paint would not get in the way of the glue holding everything together. I figured I would need to do some touchups anyhow.

On Thursday I applied the overall top colour of dessert yellow and then this morning I applied the "camo" of dark brown and olive green. Again a few touch ups will be needed but I am quite pleased with the way she is shaping up.

I will be off the the hobby shop this afternoon to purchase the yellow paint for the cowling and I will also be getting white for the fuselage band and the cross on the tail as the decal sheet does not provide either. I am looking forward to the test of painting both.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

Impressively clean finish on this one Jeff! I'm not familiar with this camo scheme but the sparse markings looks a bit "different". I'd think there would be more of em but again I have nothing to base it on.

Impressively clean finish on this one Jeff! I'm not familiar with this camo scheme but the sparse markings looks a bit "different". I'd think there would be more of em but again I have nothing to base it on.

I am thinking about a few more but I was waiting to get the white band and cross applied and dry fit the cowling to get some idea. The reference I am using is the one that came with the decal sheet and there were a wide variety of markings....some with lots of camo splotches, some with very few. I hope to find some time today to get back at this one.

Thanks for the very nice comment.

Cheers,

Jeff

Well, I got back at it today for a few hours and the biggest decision made was to add lots more spotting to my little bird. She is a hybrid of CR.42s, not really meant to represent any particular aircraft to closely.

Still a few touchups to be made and a few little bits still to be added.

Biggest job will be attaching the top wing to the rest of the aircraft. The struts were glued into pace on the bottom of the top wing and the top wing unit was set into place for the purposes of these photos so you guys will have some idea of what the finished product will look like.

The cowling is still dry fitted only as it may be a whole lot easier far%@ around with the struts with the cowling removed.

Anyhow, here is where she sits at the end of this weekend.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Cheers fellas.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back