>> **** DONE: 1/72 CAC CA-15 "Kangaroo" - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

a little bit of progress, but really I have huge amount of sanding and filling ahead of me.

ive fitted the cockpit and IP and the wings to each of the fuselage halves. I did do some more sanding to try and get a better fit of the wings to the wing roots, but even so there was a lot of sanding and filling to do. I still have a heap to do, and I can also see the model surfaces are very rough anyway. Ive discovered several air pockets in the fuselage and unfortunately accidentally put paw prints on the wing after I touched them with some undetected glue on my fingers. the fuselage material is soft making it susceptible to handling damage.

this is going to be tough I think

cockpit area.jpg

cockpit area 2.jpg

cockpit area 3.jpg

port side wing root.jpg

wing root underside close up.jpg

Good work there Michael - what's known in the military as 'character building', and in modelling circles as "Oh, **** it, come on !"

Good grief! 1:72 would have been introduced to flight sans engine by me. I admire your ability to see and manipulate things on that scale. Looking great to me. Looks like you have things well in hand.

Quick update. joined the halves, more sanding and filling. attached the tail wings applied a very thin coat of primer, found some rough bits along the seams mostly, more sanding, rescribed the panel lines before applying another coat of enamel primer. reasonably happy though getting to understand enamels was different. currently in the process of drying.....forgot that enamels take ages to dry......

photos soon I hope, though I like to apply the black and dark grey preshading to some of the panels if I can. I'm going to apply shading to panels rather than just along th e panel lines for this model. though still no sign of the Alclad yet

Since my last entry (which quite some time), Ive spent a lot of time preparing the surfaces for painting, with a lot of sanding and preshaing. I used a method for preshading that I had read about, but never used myself, in which entire panels were painted black and other colours to get shading effects under the top coat...once it arrived.

Today the alcladdII duralumin arrived and I wasted no time trying it out. Ive applied an extremely thinned down and lightly applied coat to the wings and some parts of the fuselage as well as getting the undercart ready for assembly. I prefer to prepaint the undercarriage components, I otherwise end up a bit of a mess.

So far I really like this Alclad stuff. No big issues as yet, but it dries super quick and does not like super thick applications in the one pass. it does behave quite differently to both acylics and the one sort of enamel that Ive used (the primer for this build).

Anyway here are a couple of shot of the build so far....

fuselage with first coat.jpg

undercarriage painted.jpg

fuselage with first coat 2.jpg
s

Hmm, I'm not sure why that is happening. I can see them fine. I have had to change cameras, but the fil format remains the same.

I might try to reload the file attachments a bit later

So you like building in resin?

Its okay, but techniques are different. Sanding and shaping is a bit tricky, and the material is either soft, and/or fragile. Sometimes, there have been air pockets in the body of the model that I find an absolute pain in the rear.

Resin usually means limited run, and limited run means dodgy instructions and lots of sprue and slag attached to the parts. This model has some fit issues. but nothing too serious, and the up side is that you get to build models of types that would otherwise not be available. Id still describe it as an excellent kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back