Done -- 1/72 Conversion of the XP-47B Prototype, using Academy P-47D Kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TheRealMrEd

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2017
I waited decades for some kind soul to make one of these for me. Well, they didn't, so I did:

XP47BdDone01.jpg
XP47BdDone02.jpg

For those interested, the build thread is HERE, along with a few more photos...

Ed

But....there's always a 'but', isn't there?

The early Jugs had what Detail and scale describe as a 'shallow keel'--well before the Academy D-20, the keel had been deepened to the depth we all know and--well, either love or hate. Or did I miss something?:eek:

The keel of the Lindy model is about right (while there is a lot missing, or obsolete (raised panel line, anyone?) in this kit, the only actual errors I've seen are the D-style wing pylons, and the fact that the guns are parallel to the wing, not the ground. (Most 1/72 scale '47s get this wrong, too.) Also, the ailerons are too simple; they were fabric covered in the B. And, she's not THAT rara an avis. A few months ago I picked up 3 on EBay for about $5 each, about the same price when new (after inflation). Not something to do in a hurry; some days the cheapest kit is like $16; but it can be done. If I can find my kits, I may be able to compare the Lindy B with the JoHan D, to show you about the keel thing--it's only a few mm, but in 1/72, it's noticeable.

Another thought; the JoHan D, or the 1/48 Hawk (Now Testor) kits might be a better place to start the 'car door' cockpit, since the razorback is one piece. And, once at the end of the B run, they made another 'car door' 'Bolt, careful of those guns if you intend to make that one.

Actually, there were four P-47s with car-door entry, the XP-47B, No.s 1 and 2 P-47B and the XP-47E. And the difference in the keel on the Lindberg B is about 1.5mm, I just checked. Didn't go that route because the Lindberg B is a very simplistic kit...

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back