**** DONE: GB-45 1/48 Bf 109E - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A brief update..

The build is progressing well, and i am nearing the painting stage, although you might not think so given the photo!

Flying control surfaces are separate parts and can be posed up or down, some of which will be a pain for my brush painting so i will do some parts on their own.

Annoyingly Airfix only provide the E-4 canopy with armored glass, and the thread photos show it to be the older canopy with armor glass...

me109c.JPG

More soon,

Cheers Greg :salute:

Nicely done so far.

The Airfix kit is for E-1/E-3/E-7 Trop of the standard cockpit canopy. But the kit is also offered as the E-1/E-3/E-4 and E-3/E-4 and E-4/E-1 and, E-4/N Trop. Therefore the glass sprue contains 4 windscreens,, 2 side-open hoods and two back clear parts. Among all of the kit variants, the E-4/N Trop had the armoured glass at the windshield only. Although the kit titles are different , the set of sprues for these kits is the same. But it shouldn't be any trouble with adding of the bullet proof glass to the E-1/E-3 windscreen.

2375_1_afx05122_4.jpg

Nicely done so far.

The Airfix kit is for E-1/E-3/E-7 Trop of the standard cockpit canopy. But the kit is also offered as the E-1/E-3/E-4 and E-3/E-4 and E-4/E-1 and, E-4/N Trop. Therefore the glass sprue contains 4 windscreens,, 2 side-open hoods and two back clear parts. Among all of the kit variants, the E-4/N Trop had the armoured glass at the windshield only. Although the kit titles are different , the set of sprues for these kits is the same. But it shouldn't be any trouble with adding of the bullet proof glass to the E-1/E-3 windscreen.

View attachment 571459
Thanks Wurger! :thumbup:

Additionally I would pay your attention to the way the external armour glass was attached to the airframe.
It seems that there were two ways of doing that. WHat is more the colour of the glass frame is different from the basic paint used for the main camouflage.

Here the first one seen in the third pic of the post #27. The frame of the glass was screwed to the winscreen frame with a kind of a tab that looks like an ordinary flat piece of plate attached with two screws at its top and bottom. The back edge of the tab is a straight line.
screen7.jpg

Here is the second way seen in the second shot ( and similar to the one in the 5th and 6th image ) of the post #27. The frame is also screwed at its top and bottom but it matches the shape of the windshield frame much better. Its back edge isn't the straight line at the top and bottom ending but the kind of round tabs for screws.
screen8.jpg

Judging by the colour image of the "65" she had the externl bullet-proof glass attached in the first way.
screen65.jpg

Additionally I would pay your attention to the way the external armour glass was attached to the airframe.
It seems that there were two ways of doing that. WHat is more the colour of the glass frame is different from the basic paint used for the main camouflage.

Here the first one seen in the third pic of the post #27. The frame of the glass was screwed to the winscreen frame with a kind of a tab that looks like an ordinary flat piece of plate attached with two screws at its top and bottom. The back edge of the tab is a straight line.
View attachment 571511

Here is the second way seen in the second shot ( and similar to the one in the 5th and 6th image ) of the post #27. The frame is also screwed at its top and bottom but it matches the shape of the windshield frame much better. Its back edge isn't the straight line at the top and bottom ending but the kind of round tabs for screws.
View attachment 571512

Judging by the colour image of the "65" she had the externl bullet-proof glass attached in the first way.
View attachment 571513
Great detail shots!

The thing that strikes me about these mods to the canopy is how much the armor plate restricts the pilots forward vision.

The 109 windscreen was quite small even before the armor is added!

Cheers Greg

Great work Greg :thumbright:
Could the external armour be RLM02 ?
It is very likely. Or it could have been the RLM 75.

Thanks Steph, and Wurger :thumbup:

I have sourced a template for my armor windscreen from an Eduard Bf 109F kit so i should manage to cobble something together from that.

I started painting last night so i should have some progress to show after the weekend.

Cheers, Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back