**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Bf 109E-3 - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting approach that I've not seen before. Have you tried just using some ground graphite? Rub a pencil on some sandpaper, load up a paint brush with the graphite and gently apply to the model building up slowly. Easily wiped off glossy surfaces if you're not happy (on matte surfaces, not so much) and can be sealed with a clear coat when you're done.

It's usually not a good idea to put tape over decals as you and I both discovered.

Another method, for dark exhaust stains, is to use a ladies eye liner pencil. These are available in browns and black, and are similar to a 'Chinagraph' pencil, although slightly softer.
Draw the line or curve of the stain, lightly, then smudge it rearwards with a finger tip, or cotton bud, if access is restricted. repeat as required to build up the effect.
An example is shown below, on my 1/48th scale Harvard.

Harvard Build 190.jpg
Harvard Build 201.jpg

Nicely done.
A couple of 'constructive' observations, which are in no way meant as criticism.
There shouldn't be a vertical frame on the side of the main canopy - this was a sliding panel, which overlapped the rear panel slightly. The rear glazing is lacking the horizontal frame
The starboard main wheel looks slightly 'skewed', and the gear leg should be the base colour all the way down to the oleo. The latter, at this point in the war, was normally covered by a leather gaiter, but these were often removed, in winter, if caked in frozen mud, thereby exposing the shiny oleo leg, virtually hidden behind the wheel assembly.
The radio mast is slightly off, but easily corrected.
These are points which would be noticed, by the judges, in a Group Build.
However, overall it's a very good effort, and well done, and yes, you should be rightly pleased with the final result.

Thanks for all the views and comments. I'm here for exactly the kind of advice (not criticism in any way) I've seen because I want to learn and get better. After looking at several pictures
109canopy.jpg
I see what you mean. I also see that I missed the clear triangle at the lower front. As far as the landing gear, the instructions call for grey-khaki (RLM 2) in the wheel wells and the legs. It also makes a kind of sense to me that the under bits would be painted during production, and not needed to be painted again in the field. I also see that there must have been a lot of expediency and paint is paint and you use what was available.

Good stuff.
Just to explain further about the gear legs, the pics below, from my 1/48th scale Bf109E, show the shiny oleos, covered by the 'leather' gaiters ( red arrows ), and how the legs look on the model - hope this helps.
And I missed the over-painted lower section of the windscreen !!

Bf109 legs.JPG
Bf109 Schopfel build 172.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back