**** DONE: GB-53 1:48 Bell P-39N - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Revell
Model: Bell P-39 Kit # 85-5255
Scale: 1:48
Add-ons: Eagle Strike decals

My subject will be that of Alexander Ivanovich Pokryshkin, bio here... Soviet Fighter Ace and Famous Leader Aleksandr Pokryshkin He scored 48 victories while flying P-39's including the one I want to depict

09.jpg

FROM THIS SITE
I picked this kit as it will be a quick build and I'm trying to recover from my last build. I am just trying to recreate history, but due to the ongoing nightmare in Ukraine, if one person objects to this subject, I'll get Wojtek to delete the thread.

Last edited:
Might be a quick build but the gopher side discussions could cause this thread to go viral.

No issues with the subject matter for me. I wouldn't be doing the Yak-3 if I did.

Modelin'. There are two inserts on the right fuselage to view the engine and the gun bay. These are added at the end of the build but I did these first as how these fit would determine my thoughts on whether to continue this build.

IMG_1769.JPG

On to the innards..................

:thumbright: Geo, I haven't seen this re-box of the Monogram P-39. Did you buy it from Michael's or from a model store? Michael's were selling some of those oldies but goldies Revelogram-models some years ago and I bought a few with the exeptional -50% coupon (which sadly does not exist anymore). I can't recall seeing the Airacobra though.
Wish you luck - your choices are always very interesting!

Thank you gentlemen

:thumbright: Geo, I haven't seen this re-box of the Monogram P-39. Did you buy it from Michael's or from a model store? Michael's were selling some of those oldies but goldies Revelogram-models some years ago and I bought a few with the exeptional -50% coupon (which sadly does not exist anymore). I can't recall seeing the Airacobra though.
Wish you luck - your choices are always very interesting!

Not sure where I got it Yves but most likely eBay when I was on a model buying tear for retirement time. This is how Eagle Strike wants the Groundhog to be depicted....

1647447985742.png

I went to the link Steph provided here GB 53 Starts Feb 1 - Watcha Got? a very good discussion. There is another link in the link. While the discussions are great I feel nothing conclusive comes to mind. The blue under the stars is a possibility, as is green and no colour at all. Some say there is no stripe under the red fin cap, others say white or silver. The victory markings on the nose as shown in the decal instructions could be from another aircraft as there are not as many in the photo. Some say the photo has been censored as Pokryshkin didn't like them. I'll decide later how I will depict it but I'm leaning towards blue disks, not stripe and a few victory markings

Last edited:
Regarding the thin strip and the red fin cap .. IMHO it depends on the time. A couple of images showing P-39s of the 16 GIAP indicate that the fin top wasn't painted red in 1943. Also there wasn't the stripe. Below you may see the "White 14" without the colours. The pic is dated on the Spring 1943.

p39l-14 spring 1943.jpg

Well .. the Pokryshkin's P-39 should look like that one in the colour profile by M.Bykov if following the time line.

p39n0_429004_100_pokryshkin_.jpg

All later pictures of the 16 GIAP kites taken in 1944 and 1945 show the red fin tip with the stripe that was white rather than the silver. Please note that the darker background for the fuselage star can be seen in the shot with the crashed P-39 only.

p39_klubov-31.jpg

p39-16GIAP 1944.jpg

p39-klubov-125-.jpg

p39-rga-442547_.jpg

p39-rga-442547.jpg

the pic source: 16 гиап (55 иап) ВВС КА - самолеты и эмблемы

Here a couple of screen shots from a documantal film about Pokryshkin. Please note the red fin tip for the taking off "White 15". The two shots are quite blurry and the thin stripe can be not seen. But if it is the P-39 of the 16 GIAP the stripe was there rather. Unless they started to paint the fin tip red initially and without the stripe that was added later. Also please note the slightly darker tone of the fuselage colour at the red star area. This may indicate the USA marking overpainted but it might be because difference in the coat texture there only.

white15_a.jpg

white15_b.jpg

I have ripped two screen shots of the P-39 coded "RGA". I can't see the dark background around the fuselage star. But if there would be a green coat used to overpaint the initial marking it may be unseen though.

p39-rga-442547_a.jpg

p39-rga-442547_b.jpg

Here is the 'Whiite 50" of the 16 GIAP. The red tip with the stripe can be seen. It seems that national markings were pre-painted ones in the USA before sending to Russia what makes quite interesting option. Addtitianally the P-39 had the bomb attached under the fuselage rack. It may be found in other pics of the kite on the site that can be accessed with the pic source link above.

White50_.jpg

White50_a.jpg

White50_f.jpg

However on the wing top the darker background can be noticed.

white50 wing.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back