**** DONE: GB-53 1/48 Lavochkin La-5FN - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
I know next to nothing about Eastern Front models, but fresh from my GB52 B-17, I've decided to have a go!

Username: Mainly28s
First name: Olaf
Category: Beginner- OoB
Manufacturer: Zvezda
Model: Lavochkin La-5FN 4801
Scale: 1:48
Extras: Luftwaffe insignia from the spares-box, and replacement number (21). I found and ordered a set with "12" in a suitable font and colour.

PXL_20220312_153912589.jpg

This is based on a documented captured Lavochkin La-5FN flown by Hans-Werner Lerche at Rechlin.

A La-5FN was assessed by Luftwaffe test pilot Hans-Werner Lerche.
Lerche noted that the La-5FN excelled at altitudes below 3,000 but suffered from short range and flight time of only 40 minutes at cruise engine power. All of the engine controls (throttle, mixture, propeller pitch, cowl flaps, and supercharger gearbox) had separate levers which forced the pilot to make constant adjustments during combat or risk sub-optimal performance. Due to airflow limitations, the engine boost system could not be used above 2,000 m (6,562 ft). Stability in all axes was generally good. The authority of the ailerons was deemed exceptional but the rudder was insufficiently powerful at lower speeds. At speeds in excess of 600 km/h, the forces on control surfaces became excessive. The La-5's top speed and acceleration were comparable to Luftwaffe fighters at low altitude. The most serious La-5 defects were the engine's thermal isolation, lack of cockpit ventilation, and a canopy that was impossible to open at speeds over 350 km/h. Furthermore, poor engine compartment insulation allowed exhaust gas to enter the cockpit; in response, pilots frequently ignored orders by flying with open canopies. Soviet pilots were generally satisfied with the La-5. 'That was an excellent fighter with two cannons and a powerful air-cooled engine', recalled pilot Viktor M. Sinaisky. 'The first La-5s from the Tbilisi factory were slightly inferior, while the last ones from the Gorki plant, which came to us from Ivanovo, were perfect. At first we received regular La-5s, but then we got new ones containing the ASh-82FN engine with direct injection of fuel into the cylinders. It was perfected and had better maneuverability, acceleration, speed and climb rate compared to the early variants. Everyone was in love with the La-5. It was easy to maintain, too.'

I dug this out of my stash, as it's one of the very few Soviet aircraft that Lerche flew. I plan to go with an early colour-scheme, just over-painted Soviet insignia and Luftwaffe crosses, as on the right.
16470999435093995451856081155833.jpg

60f6d1dbd98cc329ad113e69_La-5_Luftwaffe.jpeg

PXL_20220312_154033641.jpg

Last edited:
I got a start in today- I must admit, the sheer part count for such a small plane is incredible. The interior is pretty much all there, including most of the formers, stringers and internal structure. it's also got a full engine!
The fit is also pretty decent, although I found a couple of inconsistencies in the instructions- parts labelled as on a different sprue to the one they were actually on.

PXL_20220313_163012054.jpg

I managed to complete assembly this morning, and found a couple of photos of my subject. I left off the lower portions of the wheel covers as per the photos.

The canopy is just dropped on until I can mask her up.

PXL_20220315_112708426.jpg
PXL_20220315_112802415.jpg

Nice choice and moving quickly. The fit on my Zvezda Yak-3 is pretty amazing.
Yup, the fit is pretty good. And a slightly more pliable plastic is also good, especially when fitting that interior!

One page and it's all together. Looks good.
A well-engineered kit is easy to build! This was really well-thought out. I'm well-impressed with the kit, although a couple of things were not clear from the instructions. At this rate, I may complete it by the weekend (if the decals arrive in time!).

I don't plan to paint the engine, as it can't be seen anyway, so it's just the cockpit and externals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back