**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Corsair F4A-1A/Mk.II – WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've had a bit of a delay getting this fellow underway folks. First up it was a planned trip up north to some lovely warmer weather in Cairnes where good eating and company was the order of the day. Unfortunately on the last day I developed a bit of a cough, and flying home the next day (fully masked I might add) I was glad to get home even though it was well past my usual bed time. For the next couple of day I was out for the count, that was two weeks ago today and now I'm only just coming good. So, onto my Coursair.

I'm looking at cockpit and base colours for this machine and for the cockpit, I'm going to plumb for a deep green as again there was no fixed colour match, some production aircraft having what looked like black (could have been deep) while others were more the lighter and very defined almost bright or should I say strong green. Again, Vaught were not following convention and the colour range could vary from a dark or deep green to a nice light green.

Looking at a base chromate, I have found out the Vaught factory always used a salmon chromate protective undercoat that was not changed until almost the end of the Vaught production of the F4U-1A corsair. Further productions of the F4U were passed onto either Brewster of Goodyear.

From the records I've looked at my aircraft JT260 that was allocated BuNo17862 and was in a batch of 25 (BuNo17847-17871) F4U-1As allocated to the FAA (JT240-269). This was the fourth last batch of F4Us allocated to the FAA that came out of the Vaught factory. The production batches were as follows:
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair I; BuNo17592-17616 (JT170/194),
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair II; BuNo17697-17721 (JT195/219),
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair II; BuNo17752-17776 (JT220/244),
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair II; BuNo17847-17871 (JT245/269),
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair II; BuNo17952 -17962 (JT270/280),
F4U-1A – FAA Corsair II; BuNo18082-18106 (JT281/305),
F4U 1 – FAA Corsair I; BuNo18122-18191 (JT100/169).

Looking at the bigger picture, Vaught production of the F4U-1A was some 660 aircraft and my machine was the 420th of that production where a chromate change took place. The dilemma is, do I use a salmon chromate or a yellow chromate. All I can find is a statement that at some time during the production of the F4U-1A, Vaught made the switch from the salmon to the yellow.

I need help folks, has anybody got any suggestions or can they throw any further light on this chromate dilemma.

From Dana Bell's web posts ...

the another quote from the net

For additional reading ...

And ... from Corsair wheel bay and U/C colour question.

and here Andy's thread with Dana's opinion ... 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 Bird Cage Corsair

Thanks George, it looks like our friend Wojtek may have found the best of the goodies.

Wojtek
Many thanks my friend, I've read much of this over the past couple of months and tend to lean towards the conventional yellow/green chromate. but there is also a little devil inside of me wanting to be unconventional and go for the salmon. Does that make sense to you.

Actually yes it does. If you not sure becuase there is no evidence you may do what you want.
IMHO all is clear. The first coat was of the YZC protective and then the salmon primer one over that. However the cockpit interior should be of the Dull Dark Green over the YZC for the all F4U-1s and the first F4U-1As. Also please note that both the YZC and the Indian Red were the protective primers only but not the final colours. It can be noticed in a couple of pics of the F4U wrackage where the whole fuselage interior is of the Salmon dope but the cockpit isn't. What is more both of them could be used either together or separately. The nice example is the image with the wing where the front part is of the YZC and the back rest of the wing structure of the salmon coat.

the source: Early war F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair salmon primer questions

Good lord, this painting thing is worse than getting Annie to decide what color I paint my workshop walls!!!!
Kinda glad my GB61 build id an F4U-1D. This thread will prove to be quite the library of Corsair painting.

Good lord, this painting thing is worse than getting Annie to decide what color I paint my workshop walls!!!!
Kinda glad my GB61 build id an F4U-1D. This thread will prove to be quite the library of Corsair painting.
I wouldn't chuckle.

BTW Vic, I did google "FS Dull Dark Green" it came up with FS34092.
So looking at SMS and that FS# comes up with PL78 Foliage Green.
Now my mix for my GB59 P-40 was PL78 (2) PL77 (1) Foliage Green and Forest Green.
The Foliage is a pretty dull dark green. Worth a gander to see if it's a good match.
Or my dyslexia has your colours backerds!

Thanks Bill. I've got the PL78 and have also mixed it with a drop of black which toned it down nicely. So I'm going to run with that.

Thought it was about time I got this little show on the road, the virus has still got me by the short and curlies so I now have some more antibiotics, but at least I felt like doing something today. Before I go any further though, my sincere thanks to all who have helped with the colour problems related to this build. I've decided on what colouring I'm going to use but am keeping it to myself for the time being, just in case I change my mind.

As is my want I made a start with the cockpit seat and pulled up Andy's thread where there are some excellent details on this machines build. The first couple of pics show the kit parts as is. I forgot to take pics initially so this bulkhead is for an earlier Corsair which is almost identical save for the head cushion. Please forgive the fluff in the second pic, didn't see it until doing the PhotoPad.

Here we have today's work in progress, some modifications to bring the kit more in line with the real thing, it also helps to raise the seat a tad as the FAA raised them some 80cm.

I'll finish the seat off tomorrow and then start on the rest of the cockpit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread