Hey Ralph, how durable is that NMF? I've been using Alclad lacquers which are great but cleanup needs lacquer thinners which I'm not liking. I may switch to those Valejos if the finish is durable.
With NMF finishes I've not found it necessary to apply Futura for decals as the paint finish is usually smooth enough to prevent silvering.
Andy - Not sure I can qualify to answer the durability question, this being my 2nd NMF finish, and the first major spraying of the Vallejo metals. I usually apply the metals to small bits with a brush. However for this application I handle it as I would any of my finish applications, and that is not to gently. I bare hand grab the build to work on it. Although, with this finish being as shiny as it is, I do use a paper towel if holding for a long period.
My latest previous photo post may illustrate that there were no issues with removing masked area tape - tape lift. I did, first, apply a coat of Vallejo grey primer, letting dry a day. Also, I only use Tamiya masking tape, not pressing my luck with the Washi variety. The only issue I had was in the small areas where I was not so careful with the overlapping of the Tamiya colors (in this case the red) where I masked the tail area. Probably an issue with the 'texture' of the red and not an interaction between the paints. I should assume that this paint is going on much thinner and smoother and will show blemishes easier. The Tamiya leading edge 'yellow' seemed to go on well and is holding to the touch. I did let the Vallejo metal dry a day before touching.
As for the clear coat. I need to coat the red tail, as it is the Tamiya XF-7 and very flat. I am anticipating that a coat of Future may also help to 'shine up' the clear areas of the port fuselage? Kind of like it does for the canopies. I suspect the Future wont be an issue when sprayed on the NMF? I have my paint mule ready with the same coat as a test.
But a huge reason for using this, and other Vallejo paints, is the water clean up. Nothing else required. Also, no thinning....spray as it dispenses from the bottle.