**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Nakajima Ki-43-ll Hayabusa - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Taking a break from the tiny PE I thought I would take a closer look at the IP and its associated instruction info which is basically none. Yes....they show you how it goes together but "A" - they don't tell you they have to cut it out. "2" - the black rectangle needs to be removed as well, "Third" - you need to paint the back of the dials or they will disappear against the black background of the IP; the small ones are about 1mm.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Clean up needed when dry. Note the gunsight clear parts. After all this has been removed I can save the left over for future gunsights

Last edited:
Getting ahead of myself but once this is together I start painting. In my link in Page #1, the commentary says this, ".....During the restoration the aircraft got paint-stripped to a bare aluminum finish......" Fair enough, paint stripped, NMF. I'm just gonna post links as I can find no other sites that show these photos. The first two photos bear out the commentary, paint stripped....
Note that the NMF is almost pristine. Now....we read further down in the commentary and come to this, "Sometime after the departure of the 41st Troop Carrier Squadron, XJ005 suffered a landing gear collapse or made a belly landing, thereby damaging the aircraft...." This third link must have been taken after the incident. Note that there is more exhaust staining all the way to the star and bar but what's going on with the wing now. I've enlarged the photo and its still XJ005

Slowly getting the innards together. A few more parts and I can get to spraying. I "glued" the film to the PE using Future and then PA'd everything to the resin. The centre part of the resin isn't quite square and I didn't want to mess with it. It's nearly invisible with the fuselage closed up anyhow. Nato Black dry brushed with Dark Grey.

IMG_2908.JPG

Waiting for some details to set up before spraying the innards and still looking for another photo that shows a green wing on this aircraft. I went to the link in Post #1 and used Google Lens search. I used the photo in Post #1 and this anomaly shows up on the tail; it looks like masking for the XJ005

1699312029579.png

This also shows up on the green wing version. However, I found another photo that is identical to the one in Post #1 but is much clearer and shows no "masking" and now has {US Army" under the left wing. The guy looking in the canopy is still in the same pose as are the guys in the background which I just now noticed. Something odd going on and I really want to find info on the green wing. This is the other photo tail section

1699312397392.png

The green wing ...??? Where did you get the info from?

Ah .. you mean the pic ... don't you?

ki43.jpg

the source:

Well .. the wing is not green but covered with a layer of the dirt/soil/sand because of the forced landing. It can be noticed nicely at the aileron where the yeard strowed the gap between the aileron leading adge and the wing trailing one at the area. What is more the dirt was moved down because the aileron is up leaving the trailing edge of the aileron of the NMF. Also the clumps of the dirt and small stones can be found there. The same can be noticed at the wing tip.

ki43_.jpg

My initial thought was just the same. But later I have a close up look and stated the dark on the wing tops is the dirt though. The dark area at the wing root is the exhaust stain or what is more likely the soot and dirt from the damaged engine oil system mixed with the soil and dust.

Also possible. A good point my friend. But why there is no the dirt on the stabilizers then? Anyway it is not the green paint there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back