**** DONE: Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/48 Bf 109E-7

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Something is not right? I referenced the instruction manual to define where colors started and/or ended. The top of the wings are the sand color (RLM 79) ending at the wing roots. But where? The port side view has the wing sand color going to the fuselage wing joints, while the starboard vie shows these fuselage wing joint areas to be the blue (RLM 78). Now the top view is not so clear, but it appears that the port view is correct? Obviously I picked the wrong one, but doing a touch up will be easy. Opinions?
question on colors.jpg

Unfortunately none of known pics of the "Black 1" doesn't show the tone of the wing roots enough to work out the colours there. However looking at the other images of the JG 27 Emils in the North Africa it can be noticed that the starboard wing root was covered with the exhaust stains mostly. Contrary to that the port one was much clean and without the black deposit mostly. However it is quite difficult to state the demarcation line because the RLM 79 and RLM 78 or 65 are quite low contrast coats. To sume up I would say that the RLM 79 was applied on the wings only. The wing root fairing was of the RLM 78/65. However the RLM 80 spots were applied by the unit maintence crews but not in the factory. It could result in getting the colour at the area. Also the crews could applied the RLM 79 while completing the paint coating because of fading or wearing down.

4.jpg

4_.jpg

3_.jpg

3.jpg

Bf109E_white_3_JG27.jpg

5.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Unfortunately none of known pics of the "Black 1" doesn't show the tone of the wing roots enough to work out the colours there. However looking at the other images of the JG 27 Emils in the North Africa it can be noticed that the starboard wing root was covered with the exhaust stains mostly. Contrary to that the port one was much clean and without the black deposit mostly. However it is quite difficult to state the demarcation line because the RLM 79 and RLM 78 or 65 are quite low contrast coats. To sume up I would say that the RLM 79 was applied on the wings only. The wing root fairing was of the RLM 78/65. However the RLM 80 spots were applied by the unit maintence crews but not in the factory. It could result in getting the colour at the area. Also the crews could applied the RLM 79 while completing the paint coating because of fading or wearing down.

View attachment 765700
View attachment 765701
View attachment 765705
View attachment 765704

View attachment 765702
View attachment 765703
the pic source: the net.
Thanks, great info and pics. I do plan on doing some 'weathering' including exhaust staining. That should 'soften' the abrupt color change? The starboard exhaust being so heavy on this one; engine issues? I'm definately going to attempt to soften up the blotches edges, somehow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back