Dornier 217 hypothetical

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A couple of points for consideration re Do 217;
1, A fast ship - say compared to a B-25 or even B-26, on the straight level, cant`ve been too 'under-powered' -maybe Brown didn`t like twins per se?
2, A faster ship, going downhill, being built stress-capable of dive-bombing meant the Do 217 had pretty good G-factor limits, including V-ne ratings, which gave some tactical options the B-25/B-26 could not match, or for maybe even evading an NF Beaufighter during Baedeker, `43..

Last edited:
Depends on what you are comparing. I suspect Eric Brown was thinking in terms of Me-410, Mosquito and Ju-88G light bombers. Larger Do-217 won't have the same power to weight ratio using similiar engines.

If you want Do-217 to perform like a Ju-88G then it needs Jumo 222 engines. Then it would have the power to fly with one engine shot out.

In a single engine plane if you loose the engine the plane is going down.

In a twin engine plane it depends a lot on the power loading. Some twins will fly rather nicely on one engine ( once trimmed out), others even when trimmed and balanced have a negative rate of climb on one engine= plane looses altitude even with the engine at full power and flying straight and level. Any maneuver, even a gentile turn, causes a lost of lift and an increase in drag.

Speed does not equal "high power", it equals low drag. Allison powered Mustangs were very fast but had a poor power to weight ratio and didn't climb well. P-40s gained speed over the P-36 but gained little power and a lot of weight. They went faster but didn't climb as well.

Twin engine bombers often had 4-7 man crews. Loosing and engine on take-off in an under powered twin could result in the loss of both the aircraft and crew. A plane with a bit more power may give the pilot enough time to trim the plane out and do a circuit to get it back on the ground. Plane probably isn't high enough for the crew to bail out.

The British made their share (and more?) of under powered twins.

Didn`t Robin Olds say something like " I sometimes got home from Germany on 1 engine - flying the P38 , but I always got back on 1 engine, flying the P-51.."

Some twins were tricky on one mill, even a fairly high powered job, like the Mosquito, being critical in engine failure V 1 rotate situations, due to assymetric aero issues.
Speed is still a factor of power/drag, maybe the DH designers really got it right with deletion of defensive armament on their Mosquito.

I recall reading about a canny veteran Do 217 skipper who lightened his machine as much as possible, inc losing guns [ gunner] - since he reckoned that a determined fighter pilot will invariably press in hard, no matter what you throw back at him, evading attacks by using a performance edge was a better bet..

Last edited:
Bmw-802 (2).jpg
bmw-802+.JPG
Bmw-802=.JPG
Bmw-802 engine.jpg

Sadly, although there is no intact Do 217 to see, the USA has a ex- Do 217 BMW 801 'power-egg' on display,
interestingly, the BMW 'kommandogerat' unified control system was also used on the bomber mills..

That must've helped in flying the machine if A2A combat was in prospect, & was in advance of most US fighters..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back