Draft May Be Restarted In Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From MSN:

"In Germany, mandatory military conscription is proposed to be reinstated. Defense Minister Boris Pistorius has instructed to develop a model of military service by April 1, aimed at enhancing the country's resilience, reports Der Spiegel."

"According to the material, the minister plans to reintroduce military service by autumn 2025, coinciding with the federal elections. The initiative aims to make a substantial, threat-adapted contribution to national resilience."

19d371a7e95a80d6fe87a3eb0a4fd75ea2b798dfded0d96a_1.jpg

Probably not very high or good. It already was not very high when I was of conscription age (I still remember getting my letter when I was 17 turning 18), and the modern generation is definitely not in favor.
Years ago Martin van Creveld (Israeli military historian) wasn't particularly impressed with Bundeswehr training and ethos. Today he is probably even less impressed. Based on encounters with some German youth, my expectations aren't great.

Years ago Martin van Creveld (Israeli military historian) wasn't particularly impressed with Bundeswehr training and ethos. Today he is probably even less impressed. Based on encounters with some German youth, my expectations aren't great.

The training and deployments I did with The Bundeswehr in the early 2000s was excellent. The soldiers I worked with were very well trained.

I imagine with the current youth generation it has declined dramatically.

The training and deployments I did with The Bundeswehr in the early 2000s was excellent. The soldiers I worked with were very well trained.

I imagine with the current youth generation it has declined dramatically.
But how well can they fight in real war when every soldier has been told that they are basically allowed to disobey every order they don't like? It is interesting to note that in an interview in the 1950s a certain Eisenhower stated that one thing he doesn't tolerate is disobedience.

But how well can they fight in real war when every soldier has been told that they are basically allowed to disobey every order they don't like? It is interesting to note that in an interview in the 1950s a certain Eisenhower stated that one thing he doesn't tolerate is disobedience.
Well.. US soldiers sure can disobey orders.

Orders that violate established laws, regulations, or the UCMJ are not binding. If you can prove that the order you're accused of disobeying was unlawful—such as if it infringes on your personal rights or involves committing a crime—this can serve as a robust defense.

What are you talking about? Every soldier, even in the US military, is allowed to disobey any unlawful order. Always been that way.

Nobody is being told they can basically disobey any lawful order they simply dislike. That is simply not the truth in any military. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back