The last Reno Air Races ends in tragedy.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
This is really sad news. :(

Didn't watch the collision happen, but it was very sad. I was out at Pylon Two with a bunch of other photographers and the T-6 heat had ended so we had put our cameras down by that stage as they began their approach into land. Next minute one of the guys gets a text saying an aircraft had gone down. We then saw a line of emergency service vehicles heading toward where the aircraft both came down and over the next half hour or so we were drip-fed information, eventually being told two aircraft came down and there were two fatalities. The pilots lost were Chris Rushing flying Race 14 "Baron's Revenge" and Nick Macy flying Race 6 "Six Cat", both of whom were veterans of the races.

53211011952_98d6a3d21e_b.jpg
Six Cat

53211011947_89d2b375ce_b.jpg
Baron's Revenge

The mishap in progress. Those guys should have seen each other.

Not sure that's very helpful. One pilot following procedure it seems; the other possibly not quite so precise. No doubt both fully engaged in getting back on terra firma. When you have a big, round engine up front, your view isn't quite so clear.

When you have a big, round engine up front, your view isn't quite so clear.
Which means you need to be even more careful, even in airplanes that are designed to have a good view from the cockpit. These guys both announced their landings but did not respond to each other's announcement by asking them where they were.
I recall I was inbound to Torrance, CA from Long Beach Harbor and was told by the tower to report over the Thomas Bridge. I was about to announce I was over the bridge when I heard announcement that another airplane was over the bridge. I immediately looked around and saw a red and yellow T-6 off my right side, announced I was over the bridge and had the T-6 in sight. If I had not seen the T-6 right away I would have asked him where he was, since I was over the bridge, too.

You just gotta keep your head and eyes moving.
The worst is a low wing landing over a high wing.
Very unfortunate. RIP fellow pilots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back