Duxford - a Pictorial Tour.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, a complete B52, donated by and flown into DX by the USAF. It stood outside for many years, before the new American Museum building was opened. It's now virtually impossible to photograph the whole aircraft, but it is possible to walk around beneath it, and be staggered by the size of the wheel bays !!

It's tail was probably still over the threshold when it's nose was on the 'piano keys' at the departure end !!
The runway used to be a little bit longer at the eastern end, until the M11 Motorway was built, but I can't remember if this was before or after the 'Buff' arrived - although I think she landed before the runway was bisected.

The last few from the American Museum, before moving outside once more.
On the way up to the Land Warfare Hall, a good view back down the airfield shows the outside exhibits, all airliners now, some of which are gradually being restored, and a view across the airfield itself. Note the taxiing Tiger Moth. It's a fair walk up to the Land Warfare, or 'Tank' Hall, and on the way, an impressive memorial to the Anglican Regiment can be seen on the right of the path.
The final shot in this set, taken from the entrance to the Tank hall, shows the view back to the American Museum, and distance covered from the entrance at the 'Super hangar'. Fortunately, there is a free 'shuttle bus' service to get you back to the start line! (It used to be a WW2 tractor, towing bomb trollies fitted with seats, but after EEC safety regulations ......)
Next posts will show a selection from the land warfare hall.

Attachments

• Czech 197.jpg
    Czech 197.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Duxford  May 2011 237.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 237.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Duxford  May 2011 239.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 239.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Duxford  May 2011 238.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 238.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Duxford  May 2011 236.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 236.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Czech 213.jpg
    Czech 213.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Czech 219.jpg
    Czech 219.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Hugh, and you're right, it's a fantastic place. Also, of course, a working active airfield, so normally something of interest to be seen flying. During this visit, there were a number of movements, including a Harvard, Spitfire, Tiger Moth, Rapide and Buchon, the latter doing a superb routine above and across the field - just as we were leaving, with the camera stashed away!

nice post Terry i can't believe how much it has changed since i gave up being ground crew at the flying days,in those days everything apart from one or two aircraft being worked on or in pieces were outside,i remember the trident landing at one show we were at and they said the pilot only had one chance to land as the runway was too short to try again,i think the m11 had been built by then

Moving on now to the final exhibits hall, The Land Warfare Hall, which is again a purpose-built structure, opened less than ten years ago.
Here can be found a vast array of armoured vehicles, trucks etc, dating from the First World War to present-day, with many being moved from the cramped display areas of the IWM at Lambeth, London, and from storage. New exhibits are added from time to time, and there is an outside 'Tank Yard', where visiting vehicles assemble for air shows and other events.
Some of the exhibits themselves are working, and can sometimes be seen 'in action'.
The hall itself is bisected by an overhead gallery, affording a good view of the major exhibits on each side, and stairs and lifts (elevators) give access to the ground floor for close-up viewing. There are also some 'set piece' exhibits enclosed in dedicated areas.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 244.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 244.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Duxford  May 2011 254.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 254.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Duxford  May 2011 248.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 248.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Duxford  May 2011 245.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 245.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Duxford  May 2011 247.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 247.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 91
  • Duxford  May 2011 243.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 243.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Duxford  May 2011 253.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 253.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 105
  • Duxford  May 2011 246.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 246.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Hugh. There are around another 20 or so pics to post of this hall, and I'm more than happy to show this wonderful museum to everyone. As already mentioned, it's a 'Must' for anyone visiting the UK who can get there.
More pics soon !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back