Early Spit and Hurry (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vincenzo

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 24, 2007
Ciociaria
AFAIK the early production of Hurricane and Spitfire was on Merlin II engine and a 2 wood bladed prop, late changed first the prop with a 3 metal bladed prop and after the Merlin II with the III. Also the first have only four Brownings and not 8. Some know when this change occours? ( i know for Spit prop changed from 78th and engine from 175th). Some know what were the perfomances with old engine and prop? and the performances with new prop and old engine? and finally that with new engines and props? thanks

Only the Spitfire prototype had the 4x MG's (originally Vickers .303's), not sure on the prototype Hurricane.

All production models carried 8x .303 Brownings.

Another note is that the early Hurricane Mk.I's had fabric covered wings, though the majority had aluminum skin. (not stressed skin, aluminum skinning over the steel frame. There was a small area of stressed skin in the outboard wings though iirc) The rear fusalage was fabric on all models iirc.

I believe there is info on this somewhere in the latter pages of this thread: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/hawker-hurricane-mk-iib-vs-grumman-f4f-4-wildcat-1550.html (in the last 10 pages or so iirc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back