EAW and USB and WinXP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tjkris

Recruit
Dec 27, 2007
I'm new here, but glad I found you!

Has ANYONE -- ANYHOW come up with a patch, or fix, or device, or gee-gaw that will allow me to use BOTH my Saitek Cyborg Graphite USB and CH ProPedal USB in EAW on Windows XP.

I used a joystick and rudder before, But on Win 98 and game port. I know EAW is capable of seeing both pieces of hardware, but CH says it can't. I saw an article in my searches that the code for EAW was being released. Any help there?

I would be grateful!

I have loved EAW for years, but had to modernize to Windows XP with a fast processor i7, and NVidea card, and now I can't run the game. before anything it shows the worst error code, and frankly I am at a loss as to what to do to make it run? I wish Microprose had a newer version of EAW that ran with all the latest hardware, etc.

I love WWII fighter and bomber simulators. What others are there you can do missions with on a par with EAW? I cannot imagine anything better. I am surprised if EAW doesn't have a more modern version of such a great game.

Any suggestions?

Dave, Las Vegas

I don't mess with EAW, honestly...I never liked it that much. I was more into Jane's WW2 Fighters, the CFS series and later, the IL-2 series (all of which I still fly).

As for a fix for EAW in XP, you could try a google search with EAW XP fix as your keyword search string. It pulls up some pretty good results.

Hope this helps!

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this one guys,

the latest exe (1.28b) just released over on SimHQ has a partial fix for the 7217 error with some Geforce cards but without rewriting the whole 8bit front end of the game we cant yet guarantee that it will run for everyone. The coders group has created a much better exe for the game now with a whole range of improvements to the original.

regarding the original question, the answer is no, not unless both stick and pedals can be operated though a single connection, EAW only recognises the first controller on your controller list still. We may get the chance to fix this later but not yet.

by the way, we have several members playing on vista and windows7 who tell us that the 7217 error is not a problem for them on these OS's .. it seems to be an XP/ later nvidia drivers thing specifically..

here is a screenie from the Spanish Air War mod :

SCRN0000.gif

cheers,

Pobs

Hi Wheelsup,

we hate to see old hands leave the old girl but the 7217 problem with the 8 bit screens has been a big problem. I would just suggest that you might like to try the old girl upgraded to the new exe to see if you still have the problem. I also have il-2 and Bob2 on my machine but the one feature I really miss when I try them is the ability in single mission mode to jump into another plane if I get shot down without having to sit waiting for the whole game to reload between planes. I can't understand why so many newer games make you sit for several minutes going through the reloading screen after every single crash... ???? why not give players the chance to 'continue?' before unloading all the textures and models ???... and I have to say no game has better long range model visibility than EAW to this day...

the new exe includes a wide range of improvements including gun convergence, much better sun glare, better damage models, better gunnery, multiple bomb loads, a much improved online interface that allows us to set all the planes and home and target bases manually, individual plane skins in 8 or 24 bit colour... and more, a lot more....

cheers,

Pobs

Last edited:
I did like the single player much better in EAW than several of the other games on the market.
The ability to jump to another plane was a big plus to me too.

I also always liked the campaign missions.
One of the things I didn't like about the campaigns was that the Battle of Britain campaign was separate from the other campaigns.
Your victories in it could not be carried forward into the other campaigns.

The amount of foes that the game generated when you got caught on the deck made it much more difficult to me too.
It seemed like they came out of nowhere and weren't going to stop coming at you.
It is a drawback to me when I play IL-2 and know there is only a set number going to be used and it won't be altered during gameplay.

Finding trains to strafe was easier too.
If you followd a set of tracks one was going to be on them.
The only thing was, if you did get on the deck you became vulnerable to the swarming effect of the foes that the game generated to attack you. :shock:

I see that you mentioned that Vista and Windows 7 are not having a problem with the 7217 error.
Does this include the briefing screens ?
I have heard these are still giving some problems.

Wheels

Hi Wheels,

as far as I know the only problem for systems that dont get the 7217 in single mission mode is with the target selection map, which is a pain but can be got over.... and the briefing screen in campaign mode, which is still scrambled but an be got through by right mouse clicking and exiting since the active areas still show up ... I am using an nvidia 6800 and can see all the screens fine exept these, and in campaign mode you can just check the map in-game after you enter the cockpit so the lack of the map in the briefing screen isnt too bad...

we hope to try to find a fix for these two screens at some point but havent achieved it yet.....

cheers,

Pobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back