eBay: Avro Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Avro 691 Lancastrian G-AGUL
Thursday 23 October 1947 Ground looped on landing causing irreparable damage. ASN Aircraft accident Avro 691 Lancastrian B.3 G-AGUL London

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think this is the original letter From Harris in reaction to Wallis his idear.

View attachment 704488

Transcription

this on a clear night with moonlight and radio altimeters. A.C.A.S. (T.R) suggested that we might send an experienced Lancaster Squadron Commander to the meeting on Monday to express an opinion on this point.
"IT WON'T WORK," BOMBER HARRIS
[signature]
[underlined] 14th February 1943. S.A.S.O. [/underlined]
S.A.S.[underlined]O.[/underlined] This is tripe of the wildest description. There are so many ifs & ands that there is not the smallest chance of it working. To begin with the bomb would have to be [underlined] perfectly [/underlined] balanced round it's axis. [indecipherable word] rotation at 500 RPM would wreck the aircraft or tear the bomb loose. I don't believe a word of it's supposed [indecipherable word] on the surface.
It would be much easier to design a "[indecipherable word]" bomb [inserted sketch] to run on the surface, bust it's nose in on contact, sink & explode. This bomb would of course be heavier than water & exactly fit existing bomb bays.
At all costs stop them putting aside Lances [sic] & reducing our bombing effort on this wild goose chase. Let them prove the practicability of the weapon first. Another Toraplane – only madder. The war will be over before it works - & it never will. [underlined] ATH [/underlined]

I think first undecipherable word is "Given" and second is "Ballistics".

Eng

I think first undecipherable word is "Given" and second is "Ballistics".

Eng
I agree with Ballistics. Not sure about "Given". "Given" works in the sentence, but it's hard to conclude "Given" from the image:
Screenshot 2023-02-15 084008.jpg

Jim

I agree with Ballistics. Not sure about "Given". "Given" works in the sentence, but it's hard to conclude "Given" from the image:
View attachment 707240

Jim

Hi Jim,
The writing is scrawl in places and that bit is very bad. However, I suspect he was trying to write, Given, started with a lower case g and couldn't be bothered.
Cheers

Eng

Hi Jim,
The writing is scrawl in places and that bit is very bad. However, I suspect he was trying to write, Given, started with a lower case g and couldn't be bothered.
Cheers

Eng
Ok. I think I've got it now, the word in question is otherwise, written on two lines:

To begin with the bomb would have to be perfectly balanced round it's axis. otherwise rotation at 500 RPM would wreck the aircraft or tear the bomb loose.

Jim

Ok. I think I've got it now, the word in question is otherwise, written on two lines:

To begin with the bomb would have to be perfectly balanced round it's axis. otherwise rotation at 500 RPM would wreck the aircraft or tear the bomb loose.

Jim

Hi Jim. Well, I don't see "other", or the "wise" bit anywhere. The "vibration" word is definitely there. I suspect the "g????" could have been another word but, it still makes sense if the "g????" word is disregarded. Fortunately, I do not think the suspect word was important to the meaning of that sentence, Harris says that the bomb needed perfect balance or it would vibrate. The rest of his his opinions are readable.

Cheers

Eng

BRITISH RAF LANCASTER BOMBER at IBURA FIELD Recife BRAZIL

View attachment 718888

View attachment 718889

BRITISH RAF LANCASTER BOMBER at IBURA FIELD Recife BRAZIL

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back