Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Captured by Germans, seems to have USA type and colour star.

View attachment 343713 View attachment 343714
Used on Sicily, Italy and North Africa, also Southern France many weeks after June 6th during landings. The Tuskegee Airman had them for Coastal patrols and blewup a destroyer and small vessels and shipping. Also U Boat patrols never heard of any success there. They got P51 D's later on.

Here are some I got somewhere.
Bell P-39D Sun-setter.jpg
Bell P-39D-1-BE Airacobra 41-28313.jpg
Bell P-39 re-arming.jpg
Bell P-39 Airacobra color-courtesy-of-Niagara-Aerospace-Museum.jpg
Bell P-39N Airacobras 1943.jpg
bell-p-39-wreck-russia-4.jpg
bell-p-39-wreck-russia-5.jpg
P-39LaddFieldAK-1.jpg
P-39NewGuinea-1.jpg
P-39Iceland-1.jpg
P-39satBellPlant2-1280.jpg
P-39 Pt Moresby.jpg
P-39 crashed.jpg
P-39Q_Makin_1943.jpg

The turbo made it slower, not faster. That's the reason they took it out, not because "meddlesome Air Corps engineers chose to emphasize the P-39's low altitude performance" as at least one publication has printed. The V-1710's single stage supercharger was set up for top performance at 15,000 ft, just like the P-40 and Mustang Mk1.

Peak performance for the single stage supercharged V-1710 in the A-36 was set up for about 5,000 ft - and that was a real ground attack airplane.

Okay students, who knows where/what all this stuff is?
Not sure what but under and to the lower sides of the 37 mm. Behind the gun around the propeller shaft under the pilots seat. Russians put skis on the P39s and landed on frozen lakes bringing food stuffs and then secret documents and hi level mail out of places like Leningrad and partisan pockets behind German lines.
US New Zealand and Australia brought in medical supplies but I bet there were some bortles of scotch and whatnot in there

Those are still shots from a maintenance instruction video but I don't know where to see it. Retromechanix has it, apparently entitled, "Ten Day Supply for Maintenance parts and equipment in Combat Area" but I get a warning if I try to access that site, saying it is not secure.

It is not this one: But it does have the best bunch of shots of a flying P-39 that I have seen.

I believe this photo is of the warm air duct from the rudder wells in the cockpit to the 37mm cannon and the two nose .50 caliber guns. These kept the temperature in the gun bay warm to keep the guns from jamming due to freezing. (photo 540618)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back