eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ki-57 "TOPSY

1693042894179.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Kyushu K11W Shiragiku had the one-part straight wings with one long split flap for each one The wing was of small dihedral. The one in Snautzer01 post has the two-part split flap. The shape of the trailing edge seen in the image indicates the center wing with the external wing part. What is more there can be noticed a rectangular window on the fuselage, I'm sure the second one is hidden behind the guy standing on the ground. The Kyushu K11W Shiragiku had there a larger one behind the wing trailing adge because there was a door for entrance. About the antenna mast on the front windshield I don't mentioned.

The Kyushu K11W Shiragiku had the one-part straight wings with one long split flap for each one The wing was of small dihedral. The one in Snautzer01 post has the two-part split flap. The shape of the trailing edge seen in the image indicates the center wing with the external wing part. What is more there can be noticed a rectangular window on the fuselage, I'm sure the second one is hidden behind the guy standing on the ground. The Kyushu K11W Shiragiku had there a larger one behind the wing trailing adge because there was a door for entrance. About the antenna mast on the front windshield I don't mentioned.
You should start writing books on types you like. I buy them all. I would.
And i have a few books i tell you.

The soldier on the wing has his foot resting on one, the other panel is behind the standing soldier.

Actually the guy has right foot on the wing while his left one is resting on the normally hidden step-handle, helping and using for getting the wing and the rear cockpit. The same pull-out step-handle can be noticed in the enlarged shots of the Ki-51. And as I have mentioned it above, the second window is is behind the standing second soldier.

Ki-30 ...
Ki_30.jpg

Ki-51 ...
Ki-51 step-handle.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Yep, those step handles come in handy if you are not particularly tall.

Why did US and British designs not have step handles for air crew to clamber into cockpits and observer positions?

Moky

Why did US and British designs not have step handles for air crew to clamber into cockpits and observer positions?

Moky

To be honest , you have answered your self in half. The US and European pilots were taller and their plane were of similar dimensions to the Japanese aircraft class substitutes. So they had an easier access to the cockpits. However there were the such handles or steps but usually hidden with a flap. If you have a close up look at the Devastator, Dauntles and others you can find that there were handles-steps in the fuselage. Regarding the British planes ... here is the Fairey Battle for example. The plane cockpits were accessed from the starboard mostly. So there were handles-steps on the side. Additionally a pilot had a small door ( Spitfire and Hurricane had them too ) to help him with getting on.

battle1.jpg

handle battle.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The Typhoon was also accessed from the port side. There were, a retracted step at the wing trailing edge , a handle and the another step on the fuselage side outside the cockpit side.

typhoon.jpg

the source: the net.

P-47 early and late ... two handles on the port side for the wing and cockpit accessing and one on the starboard ...

P-47_4.jpg

p-47handle.jpg

the source: the net.

To sum up ... just sometimes you have to take a closer look.

Moky

Many British aircraft did - the example below is the Beaufort. The one in red above the radios was prone to leaking and therefore caused a lot of radio failures. The others are in yellow and the built in ladder is also visible

1693257285502.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back