Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

93ae87d6d39029d588264673c46a93ef.jpg

View attachment 646440

With the passing of the years and a few more dead brain cells than I would prefer, the publication of this photo on this site inadvertently reminded me that I hadn't lost all my marbles. As other have already noted, this certainly wasn't an A-36 or any other Allison-powered Mustang - it was a P-51B or C. The tail stripes (red) placed this aircraft in the 31st Fighter Group, Fifteenth Air Force. But the "MM" squadron codes made no sense - I'd never before seen them on an AAF fighter. No matter, there are plenty of things I can't explain.

So the better half and I went out to run errands for a few hours. We were driving home on the highway when I blurted out "Charles M. McCorkle!" (We've been married a few decades now, so she's used to my strange declarations.) It turns out I published a photo of the opposite side of this aircraft on page 79 of Air Force Colors, Vol II in 1980. Due to space limitations with the star insignia, the pilot (and group commander) has his initials as CM*M on the Mustang's left side.

Nice to now have both sides of the aircraft, and to know that I'm not completely bonkers...

Cheers,

Dana

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
With the passing of the years and a few more dead brain cells than I would prefer, the publication of this photo on this site inadvertently reminded me that I hadn't lost all my marbles. As other have already noted, this certainly wasn't an A-36 or any other Allison-powered Mustang - it was a P-51B or C. The tail stripes (red) placed this aircraft in the 31st Fighter Group, Fifteenth Air Force. But the "MM" squadron codes made no sense - I'd never before seen them on an AAF fighter. No matter, there are plenty of things I can't explain.

So the better half and I went out to run errands for a few hours. We were driving home on the highway when I blurted out "Charles M. McCorkle!" (We've been married a few decades now, so she's used to my strange declarations.) It turns out I published a photo of the opposite side of this aircraft on page 79 of Air Force Colors, Vol II in 1980. Due to space limitations with the star insignia, the pilot (and group commander) has his initials as CM*M on the Mustang's left side.

Nice to now have both sides of the aircraft, and to know that I'm not completely bonkers...

Cheers,

Dana
Dana - Maj General Charles "Sandy" McCorkle was dad's last boss before retiring. He was CoS ADC, Missles Division, and dad was his Deputy. Dad loved Sandy but despised Pentagon in, general.

Dana - Maj General Charles "Sandy" McCorkle was dad's last boss before retiring. He was CoS ADC, Missles Division, and dad was his Deputy. Dad loved Sandy but despised Pentagon in, general.
Now THAT's a familiar story. I've worked with so many wonderful people who came out of the five-sided puzzle palace who talked about their wonderful coworkers and toxic work environment. (It's amazing that we were able to win the Vietnam War!) I spent seven years just down the street with AF Audiovisual - it was like Pentagon lite.

Cheers,

Dana

Now THAT's a familiar story. I've worked with so many wonderful people who came out of the five-sided puzzle palace who talked about their wonderful coworkers and toxic work environment. (It's amazing that we were able to win the Vietnam War!) I spent seven years just down the street with AF Audiovisual - it was like Pentagon lite.

Cheers,

Dana
Dad was right down the hall from Robin Olds and he was also close to 'bolting'... both wondering if the star was worth the aggravation. Dad would probably have stayed if his request to get a Wing had been approved - not to mention that ADC reported to SAC. That said I got to meet LeMay at retirement party when he dropped by the house.

You guys did?
I've never had much use for emogies, but right now I need to get my cheek repaired from where my tongue punched through...

And a special thanks for posting the link to that Mustang sale on eBay - I'd have never seen it without all your hard work!

Cheers,

Dana

View attachment 647884

View attachment 647885

View attachment 647886
I believe this is the XP-51B as seen below and the text, published on January 15, 1944 is kind of misleading for the time of publication, IMHO :rolleyes:
ic3iok9070dk31afg.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back