Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see.As memo serves these XP-51G Mustangs were 43-43335 and 43-43336 and contrary to the F variant were powered with the RR Merlin 14SM engine.

( from my previous post )

The pic source: the net.

That is the XP-51G. From Joe Baugher's site...North American XP-51F, G, J Mustang
Resp:
Good call fubar. I would like to ask you all knowing types a question or two about the Goodyear F4U; 1) what variant and in what mo/year did they start building a fixed wing Corsair; 2) how much less did it weight; 3) was range or performance affected? I would think the lack of hinges and motors would be a significant weight reduction. 4) Would it have allowed room for expanded fuel tanks?

Confusion as to the engine.

In Wurger's article it stated 14S.M, but in the caption it said 145M.

The Merlin in question was an RM.14SM - which is the rating for some of the 100-series Merlins. The first Packard 100-series engine was the V-1650-9.
R = Rolls-Royce
M = Merlin
14 = rating
S = supercharged, aka fully supercharged (ie high altitude)
M = medium supercharged

The other 100-series ratings, that I know of, was the RM.16SM and RM.17SM.

Merlin 113 and 114 were rated RM.16SM. They were used in some late model Mosquitoes.
The Merlin 130/131 of teh de Havilland Hornet were RM.14SM.

RM.17SM was type tested but never went into service and no production engines were built, so no mark number was assigned.

When I saw your note I had a look at a couple of books on my shelf. And I have to agree both ways can be found. Also thinking the shape of the "S" letter and the digit "5" is very similar. This can cause the confusion if one had made a mistake typping it wromgly.

Resp:
If I remember correctly, there were 555 'H' models produced. None ever saw combat, although P-51H Mustangs were en route to the PTO via ship when the war ended. I often wondered why no 'H' models ever served in Korea. Various US Air National Guard units were still flying D, K and H models. When the allies occupied mainland Japan, about 100 P-51D/Ks were mothballed there when jet fighters began to replace piston engine ones. It was these local Mustangs that were quickly brought back to combat readiness, in the ground support role. Since Mustangs were eventually sent to Korea from the US, I would have thought some 'H' models would have been used. Wing loading not up to par?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread