Eduard Kit(s) Confusion (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Going to show my lack of knowledge here! I'm wanting to do some 1/48 Luftwaffe builds so I started looking at the available kits at my local HS. Tamiya is a preferred choice for me but there are not many kits. So I started looking at the Eduard line. I see the various Bf109 series; G-6, F-4, F-2 ..... These I understand.

What I am trying to understand is the differences in the Eduard kits with the same type but different kit numbers. For instance. Eduard has a Bf109 G-2, kit number 82116. They also have a Bf109 G-2 in a kit numbered 82165. When I look at the instruction sheets (downloaded from scalemates), they have different intros but the same instructions. What am I missing? The price for the kits are the same, both are ProfiPACKs?

And while asking questions. I've not built an Eduard kit; any good? They are certainly less expensive than Tamiya's.

I should have done this originally!! I went to the Eduard site and searched for their Bf 109G-2 kits. The 82165 is available and the 82116 is discontinued. So some kits are old versions of the same type. Weird though, when researching scalemates both 'appear' to have the same New Mold vintage.

So, never mind. Question answered. I guess?

But unanswered? How are these kits when compared to the later Tamiya and Airfix ones?

Normally it's decals. What markings are in the kit's. All manufacturers do it. Change the decal set and it's a new kit, err well sorta

So some kits are old versions of the same type. Weird though, when researching scalemates both 'appear' to have the same New Mold vintage.

Sorry, but not exactly in the case.

Ralph Haus Ralph Haus , the difference between these kits is the "A" marked Bf 109G of the Eduard 82116 kit. The Bf 109G-2/Trop had a different wing used for Bf 109G-4 with the large bulges over the wheel bays at the wing top. Therefore the Eduard added one more sprue for the plane with the wing top halves that is marked with letter "N". Additionally the G-2 had the different main wheels that were the reason for these bulges at the wing tops. Moreover, there is a couple of details more used just for the plane only but not for the other ones that coming with the kit. All these differences are indicated and shown in the kit instruction and the additional correct parts included.

Eduard 82116
A_edu82116.jpg

Eduard 82165
A_edu82165.jpg

wings - Eduard 82116 ( sprues "N","K" and "M"
edu82116_4.jpg

edu82116_4a.jpg

wings - Eduard 82165 ( sprues "A" and "K"
edu82165_4.jpg

How are these kits when compared to the later Tamiya and Airfix ones?

The Eduard kits for the Gustaw variants are the most universal. Having their kits you may assemble almost each variant of the Gustaw. Although the art boxes and titles suggest one particular sub-type included you get the full set of sprues with parts for many variants. See the "glass" sprue of the 82116 kit below , for instance..
The quality of the Eduard and the Tamiya kits is on the high level. A couple of differences for making parts eg ... Edurad wings are moulded with wing tips together while the Tamiya has them made as separate parts. The Eduards parts have riveting and the Tamiya ones don't. IMHO the Airfix can't get the competition. But as usually the main factor for buying or not, is the price.

82116 glass.jpg

And while asking questions. I've not built an Eduard kit; any good? They are certainly less expensive than Tamiya's
Eduard 109 kits are great, I built one here.... **** DONE: GB-45 1:48 Slovakian Bf 109G-6 - BoB/Foreign Service
If you want to save even more money and have decals in the stash or in mind, order some over trees. You just get plastic and decal sheet for one or two aircraft. Instructions have to be downloaded from the site... Search - 1/48 bf 109 over trees

Ok. I think I somewhat understand the kits? The sprus, in most cases, for any of the same type kits would be the same; some parts not used? And as Don somewhat eluded to the difference In kits would be the decals and maybe some unique pe or cast parts? That really makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. I would really like a 'stable' starting with the earliest and ending with the last produced. Although some variations may not be easily seen as different and would allow build boredom to set in. Probably camo schemes would help to break up the monotony?

I really like the Eduard kits produced in the last 5 or so years. Details and fit are great and and surface details are second to none.

Hope to find out in a week or two. Decided to get the Bf 109G-10. Seemed like the best 'starter' version. Although I had done an Airfix 109E-3 for a GB, looking forward to the better detailing. And while I was at it I also ordered an Fw 190F-8.

Looking at the Eduard site, these look like a couple of good nicely detailed kits. The sprue parts look well spaces and not crowded like some manufacturers. :D

Agree on the details. Especially the painted PE parts. PE attaching has not been a great skill of mine in the past. I need to slow down and use less adhesive.

One thing I always do with PE bits is sand the back to roughen the surface, same with the surface your sticking onto, helps to give a better adhesion. If it is a self adhesive PE just roughen the surface where placing the PE and the surface in both cases should always be paint free. :D

Thanks for the tips. Just concerned about my skills with the soon to arrive kits. One has (appears in instructions) to have little teensy parts that are attached to the pe applied instrument panel (handles, levers,???). This should be an interesting build(s). Tedious but enjoying the detail!!

This morning ordered the Loctite variety from Amazon. $2.17 (plus tax), being delivered today. They will use more than $2 worth of gas just driving my driveway!. Got to love the Prime free delivery option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back