Elective...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hugh, if you alter your itinerary, Springfield, Missouri has a large airport and we have lots of room here

there is a group of doctors, nurses, and techs that go to belize every year for a week or so to run clinics....they stay at the corozal bay resort...which is pretty nice. we had dinner there once and saw the groups coming back from a days work. its a nice little country and if you go let me know i can hook you up with a great guide for some tours

Hugh, if you alter your itinerary, Springfield, Missouri has a large airport and we have lots of room here

Stops are pretty set in stone I afraid Mike.

there is a group of doctors, nurses, and techs that go to belize every year for a week or so to run clinics....they stay at the corozal bay resort...which is pretty nice. we had dinner there once and saw the groups coming back from a days work. its a nice little country and if you go let me know i can hook you up with a great guide for some tours

Maybe another time :)

After my elective I have another around 2 weeks in New Zealand which I was going to meander back towards Auckland, stopping of in Nelson, Wellington and so on before flying onto Fiji.

I'm in Nelson, PM me. Also, go meet Aaron in Blenheim; Omaka is way cool; you'll love it there.

Cheers guys I'll let you know when I'm around. Not arriving in Christchurch until Sunday. Touring North Island till then from Auckland whilst I'm currently enjoying the delights of Changi Airport...

Let me know regardless, might be able to give you a few pointers on what to go see during your spare time. What day/s are you likely to be in this part?

Aaahh, the Coromandel... I was born in the Bay of Plenty. Roto-Vegas is an interesting little town, just mind the smell. Safe travels, young man.

Good Doctor, if you are driving down the North Island to Wellington, a suggestion of places to stop for a rest, Waiouru army museum, located on the Desert Road, just look for the volcanoes in the centre of the island, yep, one of them is still active and has a wee tantrum every now and then. You also shouldn't go past Southwards Car Museum at Paraparaumu, very cool collection of old cars, or head inland to Masterton and go to Hood Aerodrome, home of The Vintage Aviator collection of Great War aircraft, although some of them are away in the UK and Australia at the moment, but still the largest collection of flying Great War aircraft in the world. Once in Wellington, go to Te Papa, the national museum, which has an exhibition on Gallipoli and the Great War prepared by Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop, also there's an exhibition on 75 years of Air New Zealand, hostie uniforms and stuff.

A few things to whet your appetite...

Was going to do Wellington later in the trip and then likely fly back to Auckland and do a few bits and pieces before heading to Fiji. I have around 12 days after elective in New Zealand so just working out how much of that to spend in the South Island, all depends on what I can do on weekends.

Pictures haven't left the camera yet, although I've taken a few with my phone too...

Pity the weather is pretty rough in the deep south right now, making travel a bit difficult. If you get down as far as Invercargill you can go to the Croydon Aircraft Company at Mandeville, lots of beautifully restored old aircraft.

Quick update, finished the 'work' portion of the elective last week and it was a great experience. Got a lot of hands on and have really improve my surgical technique.

Now slowly travelling Northwards again. Went to Kaikoura on Sunday and have spent the last 2 days in Marlborough mainly sampling the wines. Although today I met up with Aaron (Gumbyk) and he showed me around Omaka Aviation Museum which was pretty cool, got to go behind the scenes a bit and meet some of the guys restoring the aircraft which was an added bonus. On to Wellington tomorrow, looking forward to Te Papa and the Gallipoli exhibition.

The pictures have finally left the camera but still got to sort through them and edit the ones that need editing, so pictures likely uploaded later on / when I get back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back