Elective...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gnomey

Globetrotting Surgeon General
Staff
Mod
So its finally at that wonderful point in my medical school career where I get to go on elective and go anywhere in the world I please and do anything medical related I wish. Easy decision then...

Decided on New Zealand for the main body of my trip and will be flying out on Monday.

So far I have 5 days planned in the North Island, based out of Auckland with a camper and going to go to the Coromandel Peninsula and onwards to Rotorua before returning via Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves and Hamilton. Consider going up to the Bay of Islands as well.

After that going to do my elective and travel around my base in the South Island, Christchurch. Going to do some skiing and wine tasting but other than that not sure what to do.

After my elective I have another around 2 weeks in New Zealand which I was going to meander back towards Auckland, stopping of in Nelson, Wellington and so on before flying onto Fiji.

In Fiji going to go to some of the islands and do some diving before heading onto the States.

Kinda lost at what to do in the States, got around 2 weeks again. Going to start in San Francisco and do the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Napa valley and not sure what else.

Considering going to the Grand Canyon but its quite a trek.

Then onwards to the East Coast with a few days in New York doing something or other before 2 days in DC before my flight back to the UK.

Small bit of travel and a rather short trip but should be good fun and got to make the most of this last big opportunity to travel before work...

Knowing a lot of you guys have been to these places / live in these places thought I'd throw the thread open and see what suggestions people come back with regards to things to see and do that might be a bit more off the beaten track. Will end up doing the standard tourist stuff in most places at the end of the day.

Send us a message when you're in NZ. I'm in Blenheim, so if you're travelling from Christchurch to Wellington you'll be passing through. Te Papa (the National Museum) has a great exhibition on the Gallipoli campaign that was put together by Weta Workshops (Peter Jackson's outfit).

Tons to do and/or see in the states as you probably know. I think your plans of Napa, the Rock, etc are a great start. Grand Canyon would be great. Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Pensacola Florida, Virginia Beach, Fort Worth stock yards, geez just so much and this just names a couple places. And TONS of flight museums if you want to go that route. While your in Cali you should hook up with Greg and go to Chino.

New Zealand - where functioning society meats Mediterranean climate terrain. Have fun.

Can't speak for the West coast but lots to do in NY and DC. NY you could hit up the intrepid, 9/11 memorial, all the typical touristy spots. If you find yourself drunk at 3 in the morning 53rd and 6th has a great halal cart. Hard to beat for drunk food. If you find yourself out in Queens/Long Island you gotta go to Umbertos of new hyde park for pizza and cherry valley for a sandwich.

DC even though its very touristy the national mall is amazing. Especially the WWII memorial. Air and space museum is a no brainer!

Cheers guys, hopefully going to be a cracking trip with an ungodly number of pictures taken...

Yeah I know there is load to do on the East Coast, already planning on doing all the typically touristy things in New York + other bits and bobs as they are suggested.

DC wise was thinking of doing a day or so of museums - Smithsonian / Air and Space / Holocaust and then do the outdoor stuff in a morning - so the White House / Congress / Lincoln memorial etc.

Flight back leaves at 18:30 in the evening so only have to be at Washington-Dulles for around 15:30 or so which should give me a good period of time to see sights in the morning of that day as well (hopefully).

There's this nice little country north of the US too......

Done Canada in the past (Toronto + Niagara, Vancouver + Vancouver Island, Whistler, Banff Lake Louise)...

Haven't really done the US so doing it this time, will be back to Canada at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back