Engineering vs Human Stupidity--Guess the winner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fortunately, the IT guys at school always checked out Bill's latest offerings and warned us away from the worst of the duds. 98, XP, and Seven, and Professional only, and I've been mostly satisfied. Tried Ten, didn't like it, will stay with Seven as long as I can.
Cheers,
Wes
Never had a problem at all with XP. Aside from the security breachs at the end it was the most stable running of the lot.
I'm still using Vista and it works just fine
Vista just sucked down all my RAM like a cheap memory whore...

Fortunately, the IT guys at school always checked out Bill's latest offerings and warned us away from the worst of the duds. 98, XP, and Seven, and Professional only, and I've been mostly satisfied. Tried Ten, didn't like it, will stay with Seven as long as I can.
Cheers,
Wes
I ran Win3.1.11 (eventually pumping it up from DOS6.22 to DOS7.0) and jumped over Win95 to Win98SE and ran that until XP(sp2) and then converted to sp3 - Longhorn, Vista, 7 and 10 are all garbage.

I also ran a MAC Quadra950 for ages with OS8.1 - it was originally a workgroup server, but it's ability to drive graphics program was unbeatable at the time.

There's security exploits in virtually every operating system - if it was made by a human, it can be defeated by a human. The key is to know how to use firewalls, close and/or monitor ports and don't visit sketchy URLs.

I ran Win3.1.11 (eventually pumping it up from DOS6.22 to DOS7.0)
My very first "ground up" build used that, back before I had the benefit of the school's IT department to "delouse" the software minefield.
Cheers,
Wes

I ran Win3.1.11 (eventually pumping it up from DOS6.22 to DOS7.0)
My very first "ground up" build used that, back before I had the benefit of the school's IT department to "delouse" the software minefield.
Longhorn, Vista, 7 and 10 are all garbage.
I've been running Seven Professional 64 bit for years now, with no complaints. Although I don't actually run the computer so much any more since I got into smartphones. Just Flight Sim and architectural stuff.
Cheers,
Wes

I was in the process of replacing my '98SE gamer with a beefed up XP(sp3) gamer back in 2012/2013, but my car wreck in April '13 brought all that to an instant halt. And they both have been sitting untouched since.

These days, I just wander onto the 'net with my ipad or this PC - both of which are quickly become fossils :confused:

My worst running computer in the house is a win 7 one. It can't handle the latest hardware. It was a ground-up build specifically as a media pc, and I needed it to run media centre, which wasn't included in windows 10.

Every other computer in the house is running Windows 10 with no complaints. As an OS, it outperforms Win7 IMO.

Every other computer in the house is running Windows 10 with no complaints. As an OS, it outperforms Win7 IMO.
Apart from the fact that the updates are an absolute nightmare. Wasted a whole evening fixing update issues last week on Windows10. I just can't understand that after 25 years of Windows, Microsoft is still working with that crappy updating system. I'm even more surprised that the users still put up with that.

I'm running Win10 on my desktop and small travel laptop and Win7 on my big laptop. Both work fine for their applications, but yes, Marcel, Microsoft are rubbish at this. I used to have Windows 8.5 on an earlier laptop, which my wife now has and has had Win10 installed on it, and it managed to crash the hard drive once while updating! Fortunately the laptop was still under warranty, so I got a new hard drive installed for free. I have no idea what happened, but the thing refused to work after the update, so I took it back. I was told by the guy at the shop that it was not an uncommon occurence with 8.5!

Apart from the fact that the updates are an absolute nightmare. Wasted a whole evening fixing update issues last week on Windows10. I just can't understand that after 25 years of Windows, Microsoft is still working with that crappy updating system. I'm even more surprised that the users still put up with that.
4 P.C's and two tablets running Win10 (mostly PRO, but also home version), and have had to roll-back one update on one machine. So I've not had your experience. When we upgraded, the win7 machines I did clean install, which might explain things.

I H8 8
10 is nearly useless. I am writing in a 2007 laptop running XP, 11 years after the fact. My workstations stay with 7, for now.
Hasta la Vista, baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back