Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, I guess you are all asking yourselves, "why is he banging-on about that little tacho drive"?
Well, I thought exactly that myself when I bought it. It was sold with no accurate description, although it was described as a 213 part. I guessed that it had to have some important function in the engine but, I couldn't tell until I did a fair amount of research. Of course, some engine parts are very attractive, like badges and Rolls-Royce cam covers, but most parts are fairly plain looking, the magic is knowing what the function is and how all the parts function together to make a 2,000bhp engine. In this case, despite the obvious function as a simple tacho drive adapter, the name gives it away- Zumesspumpe (or zumeßpumpe) which is metering-pump. So, I had a looky at the engine oil distribution schematic, was it there?

Eng

I had thought it was a tach drive at post twelve, as it resembled the tach drive on my old Nash-Healey. I was surprised to find a cable drive tach on an aircraft engine.
Yes, and you are correct it is the Tacho-cable drive, but Junkers have doubled the function of this simple part, making it an oil metering pump with a pass-through tacho cable drive!
I think cable tacho's were common because of the automotive link to chronometer tacho's. However, some German rev-counters are electrical, with a tacho-gen. Some propeller pitch indicators are also electric with magnetic pulse-coil function!
Cheers

Eng

So, I guess I shall wrap this up now. The Taktzumeßpumpe (stroke metering pump) in the #325 pic, just above the centre of picture, is this part. You can see that the output is for the supercharger (fur Lader), specifically for the outer supercharger bearing (aussers L.Lager). This is a very important bearing for the 25,000+ rpm supercharger.
In the last pic below, you can see how the oil routes around the top of the supercharger case, to the impeller bearing and then drains out the lower part of the casing back into the rear wheelcase.
So, overall, an intriguing part, without which the Jumo 213 powered Fw 190 D and other aircraft would not have functioned.
I hope that was interesting?
Cheers

Eng

Oh yes it was. Thank you for showing and the lecture.

It is appreciated.

A lot of replies and 7k of views now.
For a puzzle.
Best thing is it will stay alive for ohh lets say a guy that buys a part and find here your donation of knowledge. That is a bonus.
Thanks again.

OK Folks, and now for something completely different.
So, this is WW2, an aircraft part. Is it German, British or American, what is it and what is it from?
At least one Winner, possibly more! Join in and have fun! Possibly something for animal lovers!
Cheers

Eng

Great replies. cammerjeff gets a winner for correct U/C jack, ian gets one for German.
So, what is it from? Oh yes, and what is the Cats name?

Eng

Very nice cammerjeff. Yes, Storm agrees, a Bf 109 main leg jack. There was one for each main leg, and those versions with retractable tail legs had a small tailwheel jack as well.
So, I will show the partslist illustration below. Strangely, that is the best I know and it is from the Bf 109 E manual. I haven't found a better illustration in the later manuals, but that is because the part did not change much, the G manual particularly only shows differences. You may notice that the id label is missing from this leg which is a shame, it has been removed by someone. Also, this cylinder is a different construction, it has a steel cylinder body with alloy only for the end caps which screw on. So, what model 109 is it from?

Eng

Last edited:
Interesting that the main body is steel, that would lead me to believe it is a late war part 1943-45, possibly to conserve aluminum. So that would indicate a Bf 109g of possibly k model. But if I had to bet I would say Bf 109g.

Actually the difference in weight is probably less than a Kilo between steel and aluminum in that application. It would be interesting to see if it has a steel or aluminum Piston inside it. But I don't expect anyone to try and disassemble that old and rare part. I suspect the dissimilar metals would have corroded together in the last 70 years. It is a good indication that the cylinder can still be extended by hand though!

Users who are viewing this thread