Eniwetok Island Airfield

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

now i'm done

Attachments

• stickell_18.jpg
    stickell_18.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 164
  • stickell_19.jpg
    stickell_19.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 164
  • stickell_20.jpg
    stickell_20.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 160
Wow, Thanks! I had not seen those pictures even after searching the footnote web site. They will help document the story. I'm still looking for pictures of the crash site/wreckage. I'm still hoping one will turn up some day.
DaveT

I just stumbled on this site and it is fatastic. My father landed on Eniwetok within days of the initial landing and was stationed there as a radar operator I believe he said for the duration. The photo's are great. My dad had dozens of pictures he took while stationed there. I can't help but think he is amongst those in some of the group photos. He passed in 2000 but I still remember the stories he told me about some of his experiences while stationed there. Next time I go to my mother's I'll have to borrow the pictures and try to scan them so I can post them.

Argus24, that would be excellent!

BTW, did he ever tell you a story the night a PB4Y crashed into a row of parked AC and set off bombs and fuel that wrecked scores of them?

Syscom3- That sounds familiar but I can't remember the details. I do remeber him telling me about patrolling the island right after landing looking for Japanese soldiers that might be still hiding and him taking a breather next to a disabled Japanese vehicle (I think he said it was a tank) only to find several Japanese soldiers hiding inside.

Argus , there are also pictures of the radar sites and operators at footnote. I left them out because of the question of the original poster.

However it would be very cool to see the pictures of you're dad. It would make it possible to look for the man himself.

Please scan (or make digital photos of) the pictures there are and post.

@ Snautzer...WOW!!! INCREDIBLE PHOTOS - MANY THANX!!!! One of the guys at chow looks remarkably like my father. He was an Aviation Machinist Mate with Navy CASU 34, stationed initially at Kwajalein in March of '44, then bounced between Parry Eniwetok from May '44 for the duration. Those declassified weekly Naval Aircraft Location reports had CASU 34 on Parry in Aug 8th report - then on Eniwetok in next report of Aug 15, 1944. I assume the exact date of this transfer lies somewhere in the filing gap. Given ccheese's account of the August 9 runway tragedy, I have to wonder if the transfer was a routine coincidence or a necessitated by the loss/damage to personnel and equipment.
Any additional photos/info/guidance on CASU 34 and base ops would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Does anyone have any info regarding a possible CASU 34 isignia? I've seen a few for some of the other CASUs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back