Eurofighter Replacement?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Now that Germany, Britain and Europe are going full bore on military spending can we assume a replacement of the Eurofighter Typhoon will enter service before 2035? Wikipedia has its replacement entering service between 2035 and 2040.

Wouldn't it be faster and cheaper for Europe to buy F-35s?

Wouldn't it be faster and cheaper for Europe to buy F-35s?
It would be but is the F-35 is what Europe really wants or needs for a Eurofighter replacement? As much as I am a proponent of the F-35, it's not for everyone, especially if a country doesn't have deep pockets. Then when we talk F-35 for Europe, what version?

Hopefully I can shine some light on this, the tempest project is going to be completed ahead of schedule if all goes to plan, RR is working on the engines and they have already completed them they aim to make to them 20% more efficient which in turn will make them more powerful.

Although I can't say anymore on it, because legalities.

It would be but is the F-35 is what Europe really wants or needs for a Eurofighter replacement? As much as I am a proponent of the F-35, it's not for everyone, especially if a country doesn't have deep pockets. Then when we talk F-35 for Europe, what version?
By 2035 it will be 20 years old Things will have moved on a lot by then, with experience learned from Ukraine etc.

By 2035 it will be 20 years old Things will have moved on a lot by then, with experience learned from Ukraine etc.
And exactly what lessons would come from the Ukraine war that would be relevant here?

Hopefully I can shine some light on this, the tempest project is going to be completed ahead of schedule if all goes to plan, RR is working on the engines and they have already completed them they aim to make to them 20% more efficient which in turn will make them more powerful.

Although I can't say anymore on it, because legalities.
Can you confirm if the engines are being knitted by the hands of Druid priestesses?

Maybe - it's going depend on a specific country's defense requirements, let alone meeting a NATO commitment. As mentioned, I don't know how much is going to be learned from the conflict in the Ukraine with regards to replacing the Eurofighter, but despite things "moving," there's a possibility of the F-35 still being viable in 20 years. The F-16 flew in 1976 and is still in production, for example.

And you are assuming the F-35 can't interface or control drones? Or are you saying that drones should replace manned platforms?

And you are assuming the F-35 can't interface or control drones? Or are you saying that drones should replace manned platforms?
I am not assuming anything, whether the F-35 can or cant or whether future conflict will require a complete re think is up in the air (literally) at the moment. What little I read about the Tempest project was it was concentrating strongly on communications with things like drones etc.

Ok but I can assure you that when it comes to networked platforms that can interface best with other platforms/systems be those uninhabited or otherwise, the F-35 pretty much sets the standard. It is also likely to be in service for the next 40+yrs. Beyond that I would look towards platforms such as the Ghost Bat.

Is the Gripen any better than the Eurofighter? I assume they're contemporaries.

If you're going to buy Gripens might as well keep making Eurofighters. Whatever replacing the Eurofighter in the 2030s needs to be more F-22 (or F-35) than JAS-39.
JAS39 is airplane smaller than F16, Eurofighter is pretty much in size with F15. With Quadriga avionics update Eurofighter is not so far in a term of avionics from 2022 year standard F-35. F35 advantage is stealth, Eurofighter has bigger loadout and offering more speed and better dynamics i would say this two airplanes are perfectly complementary and creates deadly combat combination.

Ok but I can assure you that when it comes to networked platforms that can interface best with other platforms/systems be those uninhabited or otherwise, the F-35 pretty much sets the standard. It is also likely to be in service for the next 40+yrs. Beyond that I would look towards platforms such as the Ghost Bat.
Can you assure European leaders that they will get the upgrades and tech to make their F-35s operate the same as US ones do? The decision will probably be as much political as technical.

My understanding is that Germany wants to develop a 6th Gen fighter together with France to replace the Eurofighter. Initially Germany was interested in a combination of F-18s and F-15EXs as a stopgap. They have since chosen the F-35. I assume mostly for compatibility with most other NATO countries.

You have admit, though, the F-15EX would have looked sweet with German crosses on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back