Eurofighter Replacement?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wouldn't it be faster and cheaper for Europe to buy F-35s?

The Germans have bought F-35As to replace the Tornado strike variants and is buying Typhoon ECR variants to replace the Tornado ECRs. Several European nations have already bought F-35s, including Italy, which currently operates the Typhoon. The Future Combat Air System was developed as a next-Gen fighter and France wants to replace its Rafales with it, but when Germany opted for the F-35 it put its participation in the programme into question.

My understanding is that Germany wants to develop a 6th Gen fighter together with France to replace the Eurofighter. Initially Germany was interested in a combination of F-18s and F-15EXs as a stopgap. They have since chosen the F-35. I assume mostly for compatibility with most other NATO countries.

You have admit, though, the F-15EX would have looked sweet with German crosses on it.
there is only one reason which convinced Germany for the F35 - it is sole typeavailable for them for newer versio

Because Germany is part of nuclear sharing program they simply have little or no other options.

Pretty much. At one point the Germans wanted an all-Typhoon fleet, then a Typhoon/Super Hornet fleet, behind which a decision was deferred until after the election and the new government went for the F-35 option. The B-61 bomb is not certified to be dropped by the Super Hornet either. Modified Typhoons are being bought to replace the Tornado ECR variants.

It is my understanding Germany chose the F-35 just because of the atomic bomb compatibility. If that requirement is dropped in the future they'll very likely try to sell them as fast as possible. BTW it's a non-nice way to force other countries to buy US aircraft.

If that requirement is dropped in the future they'll very likely try to sell them as fast as possible.

I don't see why, there are benefits to commonality with other nations within Germany's sphere of influence. The F-35A was bought because of the nuclear sharing thing, but it is an effective strike aircraft and there are already a few NATO/European nations that have ordered the type. I can't see Germany backing out of the nuclear sharing agreement any time soon either; the Bundestag is increasing its defence budget and following this war I see the US armed forces, who are responsible for maintaining the nuclear weapons on foreign nations' territories increasing their presence in Europe.

The SACF to use its French designation is a sleek looking thing. Took this photo at the Paris Airshow in 2019.

52002124102_f576856b46_b.jpg
SACF

Now that Germany, Britain and Europe are going full bore on military spending can we assume a replacement of the Eurofighter Typhoon will enter service before 2035? Wikipedia has its replacement entering service between 2035 and 2040.

Wouldn't it be faster and cheaper for Europe to buy F-35s?
Another facet to this puzzle is generating or keeping skill sets in your home country. It's like choosing the A400 / C130J. If your country makes one, or part of one, the money might be better spent on that aircraft vice the other even if it's more expensive. It's not always a total cost factor, sometimes it's buying from the home team.

Germany just decided to buy F35s. Probably due to the Russian wake up call, and with that in mind it's 5th gen stealthy AND they can get a production slot. Much like purchasing airliner, availability counts.

Can you assure European leaders that they will get the upgrades and tech to make their F-35s operate the same as US ones do? The decision will probably be as much political as technical.

Only UK and Australia are Tier 1 US technology transfer partners.
Everyone else gets degraded F-35s

Canada isn't tier 1?

Canada was a "level 3" partner several years ago. That may change as the new procurement is still being negotiated.

Well...it depends on the topic of discussion. The level of partnership in the F-35 programme is different from the partnership tiering for general technology transfer. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Canada wasn't tier 1 for the latter...but these days I'm accustomed to being surprised.

The only things in place that would come close to what you are suggesting are the following:

None of which specifically provide for any special treatment in terms of the F-35. In fact both the UK and Australian treaties specifically exempt the F-35 from consideration because of the separate multi-national status of the F-35 program.

Therefore, I once again call the statement that "Only UK and Australia are Tier 1 US technology transfer partners. Everyone else gets degraded F-35s" as utter garbage.

The only things in place that would come close to what you are suggesting are the following:

None of which specifically provide for any special treatment in terms of the F-35. In fact both the UK and Australian treaties specifically exempt the F-35 from consideration because of the separate multi-national status of the F-35 program.

Therefore, I once again call the statement that "Only UK and Australia are Tier 1 US technology transfer partners. Everyone else gets degraded F-35s" as utter garbage.

You're 100% wrong, but don't sweat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back