Experimental Aircraft of WW2 Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chronister

Recruit
Dec 16, 2004
Hello! I received a copy of an article recently, which describes Adalbert Schmid's c. 1942 experimental aircraft propelled by flapping wings. According to the article, which appeared in the German magazine Weltluftfahrt after the war, this aircraft flew successfully a number of times despite the unusual means of propulsion. I'd like to know if anyone has more information about this project, or other flapping wing aircraft reported to have made successful flights. Thank you,

Nathan Chronister

Thanks. I'd really appreciate it. I know there are several books about WW2 experimental aircraft. Does anyone know if they talk about flapping wings?

Cheddar cheese, that sig file image is a strange photo. Are these cars up on a roof or something?

About as screwed as u can get in aerial combat, hence why I like the pic so much.... The sayings just came natural I suppose.....

Attachments

• b_the_warrior_the_wolfpack.jpg
    b_the_warrior_the_wolfpack.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,631
lesofprimus said:
It is a reflection of the front nose of a Ford Mustang in a rear view mirror....

Why he has it as his siggy is beyond me.....

Its the start of the chase scene of the film "Bullitt". You need to see the film toget the whole effect, its a great piece of filming.

Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow had ornithopters.

I just wanted to point that out.

Hello! I received a copy of an article recently, which describes Adalbert Schmid's c. 1942 experimental aircraft propelled by flapping wings. According to the article, which appeared in the German magazine Weltluftfahrt after the war, this aircraft flew successfully a number of times despite the unusual means of propulsion. I'd like to know if anyone has more information about this project, or other flapping wing aircraft reported to have made successful flights. Thank you,

Nathan Chronister

Look under Ornithopter. From what i understand (it was in German)the Schwingen was a sports aircraft,first flew 26 June 1942 near München. It flew 900 mtrs at a hight of 20 mtrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back