Extreme Newbie and a birthday present

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trouta

Recruit
Jan 3, 2012
Gday Guys N Gals

Very novice modeller used to build heaps as a kid, but now 43 and completed a pretty good tank about 5 years ago. Got a cyber-hobby 1:32 BF109E-4 for my birthday, having some hassles reading /following instructions.

If i go by cement icon i only cement about 4 parts??? Presuming everything u put toghether u need to cement as per every other model???, also not sure about the painting, do u put the whole model toghether and then tape it and paint all the camo?? I woulda thought u would painted as you went?? At least i did that with the tank, it said this part this colour then u painted and applied. Is this different for planes, looking at some model builds on this site most seem to build first then paint?? Is that correct?? Just after some info as i enjoy moddeling, but havent done in some time. My girlfriends present/model cost her 50 bucks, but ive had to buy 21 types of paint a new compressor a new gun, new knives thinneer, etc, all up its cost me 300 bucks, so just wanna give it the best go possible, thx Guys n Gals and glad ive found this site :)

Welcome to the site.

Whether a model part has to be painted or not , it depends on the assembling order very often. For instance ,the entire cockpit interior is assembled firstly and painted usually.Then it is attached to one of fuselage halves ( also the fuselage walls at the cockpit area have to be painted before that ). Then both fuselage halves can be put together and glued. It is being done in the way because it would be very difficult to operate with a brush or just to attach small bits at a such small room as a cockpit interior usually is. Of course it is possible to add bigger pieces later ( e.g. a pilot's seat, indicator panels.... ) but some of space there is needed. If there isn't enough of that you have to follow the way depicted above or just the manual assembling instruction that comes with a kit. If you have some free time please find my thread about my work on the Airfix Bf 109E of 1/24 scale. You will see my path for its cockpit attaching.
Additionally... model manufactures try to foist their own way of assembling upon us. But not always it is a good way. However a model assembling can be planned as a section build. Then we have to follow that because usually it isn't possible to go farther before the previous work isn't done yet. The good example can be a landing gear. Usually it consists of a few parts, landing legs, wheels and wheel bay coverings. The way of its assembling is to paint wheels the wheel bay coverings (both internally and externally), then colouring landing legs ( often we have to add scratch-built brake lines ). The next step is to glue all of these parts together. Of course paints have to be dried before the farther job. However these landing legs and inner sides of the wheel bay coverings might be of the same colour. And it is easier to stick these both parts together firstly and then paint when the glue is fully hardened. The finished landing gears can be attached to the wing but it isn't needed. It can be done at the end when a model is already finished. It will prevent them against its possible breaking when working on models.

Now how many parts you can fix at one time.... one of the main rules says don't be in a hurry, be patient. A glue needs to get hardened. It is vital because all model pieces have to be stuck at their locations, e.g... landing gear legs or struts if you make a WW1 bi-plane. Could you imagine a Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker (triplane) with the top wing moved back or left side? Terrible view, am I right? So... most of parts of a kit needs to have a glue to be hardened fully. For example... assembling of a wing halves. It would be very difficult to attach the wing to a fuselage when both of its halves could be moved because of just applied glue. I'm sure the surface of both wing halves was grimmed with the glue soon ( oh boy.. these finger prints... :lol: ).

All of these I wrote here is for assembling of other kinds of models : tanks, cars ships etc.... .

I hope my text answered your questions.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Trouta!:thumbleft: And take a look through the Modeling section. You'll find a boat load of instruction and help. Everyone one here in willing to help so start a thread for your build in out Start to Finish build thread and post photos as you go, that way you can ask questions as you go and we can see exactly what your doing and help guide you along.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back