F-1 Skyraider

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SocialDecay

Recruit
Sep 16, 2007
I found this aircraft, slowly deteriorating at an undisclosed location. (Will not mention the location for i do not know the owners wishes on publication)

And was wondering if anyone can help me out on a bit of a backstory behind it.

Well, here are my crappy cellphone camera pictures, but i got a good one of the numbers.

Attachments

• 0915071318b.jpg
    0915071318b.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 0915071319a.jpg
    0915071319a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 234
The correct designation would be A-1 Skyraider, not F-1. In this case, it was the predecessor to the A-1, the XBT2D-1, of which 25 total were built.

The XBT2D-1 was originally designed to replace the Dauntless and was dubbed the Dauntless II.

I am very interested in getting more info on this aircraft. Does the owner plan to restore that to flying condition?

More info on the XBT2D-1. The serial numbers for the 25 units are sequential from 09085 through 09109. 09103, in your pictures is construction number 1931. The last known location of the aircraft was in the Walt Soplata collection. Is it still in that collection? Before that, it was in a junkyard in Fairless Hills, PA.

Joe Baugher has a great writeup on the XBT2D-1 here:
Douglas XBT2D-1 Dauntless II

Sorry for me being away, kinda forgot I had joined this forum.

Yes, it was Mr. Soplata's collection, and as far as I can tell, none of the aircraft there are in hopes of restoration, he collects them, and puts them in the back yard. Many of the aircraft he has are just peices and parts, there were only a handful of complete aircraft. This one was one of them, as well as a B-25, and I don't remember the fighter jet other than its designation was the "Cutlass" and it had a really tall front landing gear, so it sat at an upward angle.

More info on the XBT2D-1. The serial numbers for the 25 units are sequential from 09085 through 09109. 09103, in your pictures is construction number 1931. The last known location of the aircraft was in the Walt Soplata collection. Is it still in that collection? Before that, it was in a junkyard in Fairless Hills, PA.

From the look of things I'd say "Collection" is a misnomer. Junkyard seems closer to reality. What's this Soplata do with these aircraft anyway? Looks like he watches them turn into scrap. :evil:

I had a couple of pics.
Hell of a big engine at 3350 HP

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 156
  • sky_raider.jpg
    sky_raider.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 151
From the look of things I'd say "Collection" is a misnomer. Junkyard seems closer to reality. What's this Soplata do with these aircraft anyway? Looks like he watches them turn into scrap. :evil:

Well, the majority of his aircraft were recovered from scrap yards and the like. He has saved many of them from being completely destroyed, and alot of them are only parts of the aircraft. And remember, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

The "Cutlass" is a Vought F7U, great read if you're willing to look into them.

I hope someday he restores the paint on them, it's always sad to see an aircraft slowly rot away.

I know where you can get a "free" Cutlass if you want one.

The catch is, YOU have to haul it away yourself, and rather quickly after it is yours.

One caveat you may not know about ... the wings don't come off the F7U Cutlass ... it is built as one unit! That's gonna' make trucking it anywhere a really unlikely thing as it is a LARGE aircraft when you're standing next to it! So, how WOULD you get it somewhere else? That is the BIG question!

Well, that thing would need to sit at about a 45° angle on a truck bed.

That's according to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. They have one out at their Payne Field facility, and would LOVE to move it, but it's apparently very expensive. They offered me theirs for the Planes of Fame, but explained the costs involved. Not inconsequential and a lot more than any scrap value would be.

The package doesn't get any smaller than that above, unless you cut off some things (or de-rivet, as the case may be).

I believe it would make a great warbird ... as long as the original engines were NOT used and the weapon systems were inactive. Shotgun the instruments with a Garmin panel. Just flying it with modern engines wouldn't be all that difficult. The difficult part would be convincing the FAA it was safe since it never was in real life.

The in-service accident rate was abysmal. But a modern hydraulic system would go a LONG way to making it simple.

But, if you can get an private F-104, why not an F7U? All it takes is money! I think the incentive would be very low for anyone to try it versus the risk of doing it. Who would volunteer to fly it first?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back