F-22 and F-35 outperformed by 4th gen fighters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ONE_HELLCAT

Airman 1st Class
May 26, 2008
Ventura County
So my friend sends me this video that talks about, in short, how bad the F-35 is in close quarters combat and how superior 4th gen Russian fighters are. The user in youtube is PowerRussia, so there's obviously a bias.

I'm wondering, what's your take on this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N0iXFN37iU

Personally, to say the F-35 is a terrible close quarters fighter makes sense. It seems kinda heavy in the VTOL configuration, and it does have smaller wings and lacks thrust vectoring.

So my friend sends me this video that talks about, in short, how bad the F-35 is in close quarters combat and how superior 4th gen Russian fighters are. The user in youtube is PowerRussia, so there's obviously a bias.

I'm wondering, what's your take on this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N0iXFN37iU

Personally, to say the F-35 is a terrible close quarters fighter makes sense. It seems kinda heavy in the VTOL configuration, and it does have smaller wings and lacks thrust vectoring.

Until the 'adversary' force deploys stealth technology and/or defeats it - they can't kill what they can't see. Missle technology combined by radar capabilities sez that F-35 and F-22 have a distinct advantage well before the merge.

the capability of a 22/35 hitting his adversary 50-100 miles away at night (or day) while remaining unseen for example, makes it tough to contemplate why any 4th Gen Russian Fighter has an advantage.

I agree with Drgondog on this one.

I watched a pretty cool show on TV about modern combat (Dogfights?), and it talked about using a B-1 as a missle carrier whose missles would be controlled by the F-22. Pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Until the 'adversary' force deploys stealth technology and/or defeats it - they can't kill what they can't see. Missle technology combined by radar capabilities sez that F-35 and F-22 have a distinct advantage well before the merge.

the capability of a 22/35 hitting his adversary 50-100 miles away at night (or day) while remaining unseen for example, makes it tough to contemplate why any 4th Gen Russian Fighter has an advantage.
I'm not really up on the modern stuff
but that's pretty much what I was thinking

It is well known that the F-35 is NOT an air superiority fighter. That was the F-22's job. But then again, it was not designed for that role. The F-35 is not a match for many existing airframes in a knife fight from a kinematic perspective.

But ability of the F-35 to avoid entering 'the merge' is exactly what it WAS designed for. F-35 has all aspect stealth, unlike F/A-18E/F or F-15 Silent Eagle. And it also has netcentric capability to exchange battlefield information with diverse assets that increase by magnitudes is effectiveness. Modern air-battles are not necessarily decided by single platform detection, targeting and destruction of enemy assets. USAF is still learning the capabilities of stealth, but to date they are NOT the missile platforms. Rather they are force multipliers that allow early detection and targeting that is passed on to existing weapons platforms, allowing them to remain stealthy. It is easy to remain in battle-think that a single platform is limited by the missiles that it can carry. This is foolish in modern planning. If used in an ideal sense, the F-35 or F-22 would never fire a shot.

This has been proven for the most part in exercises that are public domain. F-22s control the battlespace similar to AWACS. Link16/22 and newer waveforms allow for dynamic information display between targeters and shooters. F-15s/F-16s make the kills.

Thus, when you read about one-on-one engagements, they must assume that battlespace planning has utterly collapsed.

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I thought, but now I'm wondering, if they did get into visual range of each other, how would the F-35 perform?

Well I meant in the scenario in the video. I know no one here would know for fact he outcome, but I'm still interested in it because the lot of you know aviation better than I do.

Ok, let us take an "incident" into consideration. 2 F-22 vs 6 SU 35's. The F-22's have the 35's on their screens before the 35's can even see the 22's. The 22 pilots tells his computer to target the 35's. The lead 22 does this. It tells the second 22 which 35's it has targeted to that the second 22 targets different aircraft. So now we have 2 22's targeting 6 35's from 50 miles away and so far the 35 can't see the 22's. If/when the 22's fire, the 35's will have a moment to pick them up on radar. The chances are the 35's will pick up the missiles flying at them before they pick up the 22's. Since each 35 has a missile dedicated to it the 22's have only fired 6 missiles. By the time there are even in visual range the 35's will be trying to evade the missiles fired at them. But let them think they can do it, maybe it will slow down the development of new aircraft.

Ok, let us take an "incident" into consideration. 2 F-22 vs 6 SU 35's. The F-22's have the 35's on their screens before the 35's can even see the 22's. The 22 pilots tells his computer to target the 35's. The lead 22 does this. It tells the second 22 which 35's it has targeted to that the second 22 targets different aircraft. So now we have 2 22's targeting 6 35's from 50 miles away and so far the 35 can't see the 22's. If/when the 22's fire, the 35's will have a moment to pick them up on radar. The chances are the 35's will pick up the missiles flying at them before they pick up the 22's. Since each 35 has a missile dedicated to it the 22's have only fired 6 missiles. By the time there are even in visual range the 35's will be trying to evade the missiles fired at them. But let them think they can do it, maybe it will slow down the development of new aircraft.

6 dead SU35's

Now do the same with one F-22 and 2-F-15s v 6-Su-35s. F-15s are outside of IR detection and are emitting no electromagnetic radiation (i.e. radar/comm). F-22 slides in first and detects -35s, while not being seen. Target information datalinked to f-15s for BVR engagement. Target updates to missiles made F-22 still undetected and F-15s BVR.

F-22 has engaged 6 Su-35s and not fired a shot.

Now what about F-22 AESA capability for not only detection, but spoofing and directed energy attacks. Things get real interesting then.

There has been a considerable amount of air combat over the past 30 years involving F-14s, F-15s, F-16s and F-18s. The American made fighter aircraft kicked butt every time. I suspect that American made F-22s and F-35s are better still. :|

This is all about what if they met non stealth fighters.....what will happen when they meet a fighter that ARE stealth like themself, HOW do they perform then.....stealth isn't exactly something that you have monopoly on.
Are they as good as they say playing at level with another stealth fighter? The day will come when everybody or most, will have stealth fighters which will make IR and radar missiles useless.....and we're back to bullets and the old blues.

Lucky that's like asking to compare airplanes that fly fast. What is meant by "stealth"? Right now, we can use your same terms in comparing the 5th generation F-22/-35 with say... a US F-18E/F (I say US because many of the FCS technology is not sold to foreign countries). Both airframes are technically "stealthy", but the F-18E/F is no match for the F-22. So what "stealthy" airplanes are you referring to? Or were you just posing a hypothetical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back