F-35 on aircraft Carrier

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like the slightest damage would negate its VTOL capabilities.
And that's where flight control computers take over and assure the aircraft still functions. Remember the IDF F-15 with one wing? I'd bet dollars to donuts the F-35 is capable of doing the same thing. The F-35 won't be indestructible but then again to sustain damage it has to be hit first. I believe the latter will be easier said than done.

And that's where flight control computers take over and assure the aircraft still functions. Remember the IDF F-15 with one wing? I'd bet dollars to donuts the F-35 is capable of doing the same thing. The F-35 won't be indestructible but then again to sustain damage it has to be hit first. I believe the latter will be easier said than done.

Look at the number of actuators and other mechanical devices that are needed to rotate the engine and inlets. A cannon hit could easily jam one or more mechanical devices and you end up with asymmetrical thrust.

Look at the number of actuators and other mechanical devices that are needed to rotate the engine and inlets. A cannon hit could easily jam one or more mechanical devices and you end up with asymmetrical thrust.
And look into the percentage of cannon rounds (air-to-air) needed to bring down a modern fighter should one allow one's self to get into that position. There are DOZENS of hydraulic, electric, pneumatic, hydro-mechanical and pneumatic-mechanical valves, actuators, doors and inlets found on any modern or past generation fighter that could result in the same thing. Again, it has to be hit first, and to hit it you have to target it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back