F4F-3 Wildcat 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Finished this one today.

Hobby Boss 1/72. Wish I could take a mulligan or a do-over.

As I posted before I'm not a fan of these little Hobby Boss kits, however maybe one day I'll warm up to them.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that the kit did not include the white stripe decals for the fuselage and the wings. I gave my best effort and used a 0/10 brush to try and get the black lines as straight as I could. Thanks to Wurger, next time I'll get it right with his advice.

Off topic a bit. I've been part of many online forums ranging from politics to video games, etc. This hands down has been the most polite and interesting forum; I'm glad to be part of it.

Attachments

• F4F3 001.jpg
    F4F3 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 221
I agree, nicely done, especially the hand painted lines. Wojtek gave you the right solution for next time though, with decal strip. If this proves to fiddly, then close masking using Tamiya masking tape will give a good result, although time consuming placing the tape.
Darn - just noticed it's one of those aircraft !! (You'll understand eventually !)

Doesn't look bad. Why is the cowl not painted in section colors ? Aircraft # 4 should have a full white cowl.
Ed

Thanks Ed.

I painted per the kits instructions, however that may be wrong. Here is the link to the kit and you can see in the picture the cowl is a flat gull grey.

TowerHobbies.com | Hobby Boss 1/72 Easy Build F4F-3 Wildcat Combo

One thing that I know for certain is incorrect is the shade of green on the tail, it should be lighter. I will admit this was done out of a combination of laziness and disappointment. When I opened the box to find only a few parts to this kit, my heart wasn't really in it to drive back to the store for the correct shade. I also purchased and Academy version of this plane, although it's an F4F-4 I believe.

Thanks Ed.

I painted per the kits instructions, however that may be wrong. Here is the link to the kit and you can see in the picture the cowl is a flat gull grey.

TowerHobbies.com | Hobby Boss 1/72 Easy Build F4F-3 Wildcat Combo

One thing that I know for certain is incorrect is the shade of green on the tail, it should be lighter. I will admit this was done out of a combination of laziness and disappointment. When I opened the box to find only a few parts to this kit, my heart wasn't really in it to drive back to the store for the correct shade. I also purchased and Academy version of this plane, although it's an F4F-4 I believe.

I really checked it out well when I built mine, as I primarily build Navy aircraft. The only way the cowl would be grey if it was in primer as if being painted, and the stripes would be done at the same time. I've seen variations in the green so yours is not too far off. Even though the plane is from a time when paint was in flux between pre-war and wartime the prop would not be grey. It should be silver on the front or black. I don't know where they got the painting tips. I don't mean to take away from your work as you've done a great job, I've just learned not to trust instructions when it comes to markings. I'll post a photo of mine if you want.
Ed

Last edited:
I really checked it out well when I built mine, as I primarily build Navy aircraft. The only way the cowl would be grey if it was in primer as if being painted, and the stripes would be done at the same time. I've seen variations in the green so yours is not too far off. Even though the plane is from a time when paint was in flux between pre-war and wartime the prop would not be grey. It should be silver on the front or black. I don't know where they got the painting tips. I don't mean to take away from your work as you've done a great job, I've just learned not to trust instructions when it comes to markings. I'll post a photo of mine if you want.
Ed

Thanks Ed! I'll always take advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back