F4U-1D Paint Color

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I have heard rumors that asking about paint colors on this forum is the equivalent of touching the 3rd rail, but here goes!

I have ordered a Tamiya 1:48 Corsair F4U-1 kit. I want to paint it the dark blue upper color you often see in the Pacific theater. First of all is that even a legitimate color combo for the early F4U's? Second the color is most commonly called Sea Blue. Which with Tamiya equates to their XF-17. Its a flat color but I plan on adding a gloss finish.

Is XF-17 close to the color in reality? I found the wonderful paint conversion charts in this forum but they don't appear to take into account Tamiya's paints.

The ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue - FS 35042
The ANA 606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue - FS 25042
The ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue - FS 15042 or 15044.

Here.. Color Reference Charts - United States

Here.. Color Reference Charts - Tamiya

Anf here the mix suggested by the Tamiya ...

Non-specular Sea Blue - XF17:5 + XF8:3 + XF2:2

For the gloss paint you can either add the Tamiya Clear Gloss to the mix or just spray the gloss one over the Matt Sea Blue. The second way seems to be fine because you have to apply the gloss for decals and final touch anyways.

As the best paint for the Gloss Sea Blue one is recommended the Xtracrylix XA-1121 Gloss Sea Blue.

Last edited:
Where have you heard that ?

Any sensible question usually gets a pretty decent responce !
Oh I meant in a humorous sense! I think it was in one of the 13's threads where they were welcoming a newcomer and he asked a question and someone said something to the effect be gentle at least he did not ask about colors. Totally meant in jest. Even unreasonable questions tend to get a decent thoughtful response on here!

Now the last time Karl tried to have a Speckled Hen, a whole case just seemed to disappear before he (and I) had a chance to open a bottle ............ snaffled by an invading former Colonial !

Now the last time Karl tried to have a Speckled Hen, a whole case just seemed to disappear before he (and I) had a chance to open a bottle ............ snaffled by an invading former Colonial !
Ah, sorry, took me a bit to clue in, the bottle comment put me over the top thanks! My wife, who is British, is constantly befuddled by the differences in how we speak English. Of course occasionally she gets me as well. Spent hours one time trying to find this mysterious stuff called "Cello" tape.

Ah, 'Sellotape' - clear parcel tape, probably better known in the 'States by the £M brand name 'Scotch Tape'.
Now, when you get to naming car parts (and tools) in English English, that will confuse you !!
Can you adjust my bonnet with that spanner which is in the boot ..............

Ah, 'Sellotape' - clear parcel tape, probably better known in the 'States by the £M brand name 'Scotch Tape'.
Now, when you get to naming car parts (and tools) in English English, that will confuse you !!
Can you adjust my bonnet with that spanner which is in the boot ..............
True! Very true, of course my favorite one was when after arranging our first date she said that I should come round and Knock her up at 8 that evening! Never knew British folks made appointments for that! And then when I explained I had Shag lessons to attend she was scandalized, she had no idea Americans had classes for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back