F4U Corsair and P51 Mustang Airshow Performance (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The sunset portrait was stunning. Those 30 cylinders singing is the greatest symphony ever!

What model Corsair is that? With what little I know, the scoop on the bottom of the engine nacelle suggests late-series, maybe-post-WW2 production.

Awesome!!!
Good question, both planes were built in 45 and the Corsair was used in Korea. Maybe that helps

The sunset portrait was stunning. Those 30 cylinders singing is the greatest symphony ever!

What model Corsair is that? With what little I know, the scoop on the bottom of the engine nacelle suggests late-series, maybe-post-WW2 production.

Awesome!!!
This Corsair is a Vought F4U-4 Corsair. F4U-4s were produced late 1944, and saw combat during the last few months of WWII in 1945. ( The first variant to have a 4 bladed propeller ). However, this particular F4U-4, BuNu 97143 was built in August 1945, so it didn't serve in WWII, but saw combat during the Korean war. 🙂

Bent-Wing Phoenix

Two beautiful and powerful warbirds. flying that tight of formation with two dissimilar aircraft had to take some good sticks. Growing up in Pensacola about a mile from the back entrance to the Naval Air Station, with the Blues flying overhead our house when landing to the East, I went to lots of airshows. One particular I remember quite well had a demonstration flight of both a P-51 (probably a D) and an F8F. It was a typical hot humid summer day in Northwest Florida where the sugar white sand beaches and the cool blue green gulf waters beckons a visit. The P-51 went first, taking off and then flying around a bit amd then it came in for a landing. The announcer said that the P-51 had overheated, which demonstrated the better performance of Naval aircraft air cooled engines. Then it was the F8Fs turn. It took off flew around a bit and came in for a landing. The announcer said the the F8F had overheated and could not continue the demonstration. It just goes to show you that Florida heat and humidity can beat the best of them, just ask my wife. The picture shown was taken from Admirals Island, an artificial island created by dredging the intercoastal waterway, where the motorboat is going. In the background is NAS Pensacola. To the far right beyond the tree line was the rundway at Sherman field. Far left about a mile inland, is where I grew up. As you can tell it was rough to grow up there, especally since we had a civilian version of the military jeep (note the rust behind the front wheel). Jeeps are wonderful vehicles. I learned to drive in this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back