F4U Production in Indiana?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I never got out on the line, just rebuilt components that were stored for a long time in the desert.

Security used to come around and inspect our tools, making sure they weren't Cad-plated. Cad-plated tools causes titanium to corrode.

Got to work on the AG330 which was fun.

6 years ago, I found one at the The Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Somehow it seems that discussion doesn't fit with a discussion of WWII aircraft. I got the answer I was looking for, now I think I should look for a forum that is a better match to my experience and interest. Thanks to all.

Somehow it seems that discussion doesn't fit with a discussion of WWII aircraft. I got the answer I was looking for, now I think I should look for a forum that is a better match to my experience and interest. Thanks to all.
It's not uncommon for a discussion to drift (in forum parlance, referred to as "thread drift") and there is some great memories and information being shared here.
Keep it up and welcome aboard!

Sorry late to the party.
This might be of interest to you in your quest about F4U production Briggs Manufacturing in World War Two
Briggs was a subcontractor that built wings for the F4U.

"Briggs Indiana Corporation: This body plant in Evansville, IN did final assembly on wings for several Navy aircraft. Many, if not all of the components were fabricated in the Detroit plant and shipped to Evansville for final assembly. At the end of the war the Evansville plant had 4,000 employees making wings for the FG-1 Corsair."

when you read about the dispersed production, and how quickly production ramped up its incredible it was all done without even a fax machine. Just long distance telephone, courier and face to face meetings. Drawings all done on the board, with ammonia blue prints couriered around the Country. I'm old enough, when I first graduated as an Aerospace Engineer in '84, drawings were done on vellum, you would take them down to print crib, an attendant would run off copies on ammonia blue print paper. CAD started replacing the board completely around 1990 in our facility.

Users who are viewing this thread