F6F-3 & F6F-5 cowlings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
A lot of sources have pointed out that one of the differences between the F6F-3 and -5 Hellcats was the latter's more streamlined cowling.

My question is, are there any external differences between the F6F-3 and -5 cowlings? (I ask this because the two variants look so similar visually.)

Thanks

As memo serves the F6F-3 had the engine cowling of three versions. The earliest one was "equipped" with the cooling tabs at the top and bottom of the cowling. Also there were bulges on the sides of the cowling at the height of the exhaust pipes. Then, these bottom cooling tabs were removed.That's the second version. The third type appeared with removing of these sides bulges and was used for late and very late F3s.
The first F6F-5s had the engine cowlings like the earliest F-3. But soon it was replaced with the engine cowling of the very late F3.

The engine cowling of the earliest F-3s. The top and bottom cooling tabs are seen and also the side bulge near the exhaust pipes.

F6F-3_Hellcat_early.jpg

The second ( mid ) type ...

F6F-3_Hellcat_mid.jpg

the late one ...

F6F-3_Hellcat_late_a.jpg

F6F-3_Hellcat_late.jpg

And here the F-5 ..

F6F-5_Hellcat_late.jpg

As memo serves the F6F-3 had the engine cowling of three versions. The earliest one was "equipped" with the cooling tabs at the top and bottom of the cowling. Also there were bulges on the sides of the cowling at the height of the exhaust pipes. Then, these bottom cooling tabs were removed.That's the second version. The third type appeared with removing of these sides bulges and was used for late and very late F3s.
The first F6F-5s had the engine cowlings like the earliest F-3. But soon it was replaced with the engine cowling of the very late F3.
From what I've seen in photos and profiles, all F6F-5s had the cowling of late -3's.

Exactly.. please see above. Now all pics are attached. Sorry for the delaying.

No, all is fine with the net. Just had posted the message before I attached these images as an example. However all may happen.. :lol:

Do you or anyone else here know of any photos or anything to prove that?

The last version of cowling fitted to the -3 model was for all intents and purposes identical to the version fitted to the entire -5 production series, so there would be no marked differences between the cowlings to see in photographs (it would be very hard to distinguish the tighter fitting cowl and skin panels).

From a F6F-5 flight test document dated September 1944:

The following modifications made on the F6F-3 resulted in the model designation change to F6F-5:

(a) Revised cowling - An attempt has been made to increase the airplane speed by making the engine cowling and adjacent skin panels flush wherever practical in order to produce smooth air flow over those parts....

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. I recently joined the crew maintaining the Hellcat (N1078Z) at CAF SoCal in Camarillo. Turns out the plane is a combination of parts with a F6F-3 fuselage and parts from the -5. Now that I read this thread I am trying to figure out what cowling we have. It looks like we have the same upper cowl flaps, the bulge on the left side for the exhaust, no bulge on the right side and no lower cowl flap(s). From DarrenW's posting, I think we have cowlings from F6F-3 from between #'s 1296th and 1500th. Does that sound right? I have attached pictures. Sorry about the poor quality; they were to document checking the brakes, changing friction plates as needed and cleaning and packing the wheel bearings. Fun stuff.
F6F wheel change, 3.jpg
F6F wheel change, 2.jpg

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. I recently joined the crew maintaining the Hellcat (N1078Z) at CAF SoCal in Camarillo. Turns out the plane is a combination of parts with a F6F-3 fuselage and parts from the -5. Now that I read this thread I am trying to figure out what cowling we have. It looks like we have the same upper cowl flaps, the bulge on the left side for the exhaust, no bulge on the right side and no lower cowl flap(s). From DarrenW's posting, I think we have cowlings from F6F-3 from between #'s 1296th and 1500th. Does that sound right? I have attached pictures. Sorry about the poor quality; they were to document checking the brakes, changing friction plates as needed and cleaning and packing the wheel bearings. Fun stuff.View attachment 493703 View attachment 493704
How do they (the CAF) know the aircraft's fuselage is that of an F6F-3?

Last edited:
To be honest the engine cowling looks like a mix of the mid and late ones. The port side panel looks has the bulge over the exhaust pipes while the starboard one doesn't. As memo serves the bulges there were on both sides for the mid type but the late one didn't have them at all.

Those panels were removable so it's very easy to have different styles on the same aircraft. There is also a data plate in the cockpit that specified manufacture's information such as aircraft type, in this case an F6F-3. Joe, can you provide a picture of the cockpit data plate?

97deef2793bd02211215a4d075ff7d59.jpg

Yep.. I have thought the same about the panels. So the mix is very possible. Either the panel with the bulge was added instead of the panel without that or the starboard one was replaced with the late panel without the bulge. As the result there is the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back