F86-Sabre or Cf-100 Canuck which was better?

Which was better?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seriously though, we do that with a lot of things. I mean I'm a proud enough Canuck and all, but...I dunno. It just seems a bit pointless to me sometimes to have to stick a leaf on something just to make it seem home-grown to people who couldn't really care less anyway. What's the difference?

Well, you get CJD from Canadian McDonalds ...maybe that's the difference. :laughing6:

The weight of a Aussie Sabre was about 10% more than an F86F, Its engine the Avon was about had about a 23% increase in thrust compared to the J47-GE-27.
This was more than enough to give a significant improvement in performance over the USA Sabre, as well as having all the extra kit.

As an aside, the Avon weighed less than the J47 and had a lower fuel consumption, which helped the designers with weight and gave an increase in range.

Can't you just sling all the information about the Australian Sabre at me, please? How did it compare to the F-86F? Speed? Ceiling? Performance at altitude? So on and so forth. And ...what the hell did it look like?

It looked like a Sabre but with two big gun ports not six little ones.

Commonwealth Sabre CA27
Empty Weight 12,100lb
loaded Weight 16,000ib
Max Speed 610MPH
Ceiling 55,000ft
Range with Drop tanks 1,150 miles
Thrust 7,500 lbs
Twin 30mm with 162 rounds

F86F
Empty Weight 10,890lbs
loaded weight 20,357lbs
Max Speed 600 mph
Ceiling 48,000ft
Range Drop Tanks 925 miles
Thrust 6,090 lbs

The first line say sound like a joke, but that is the only major visible difference.

Well of the two I would deffinatly go with the Sabre and I dont think that the Sabre really had much competition besides the Mig-15 at the the time and it proved what was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back