F8F-1 vs F8F-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

professorcurly

Recruit
Nov 7, 2013
I was wondering what the source of the improved top speed of the F8F-2 over the F8F-1 was. The engine seems to have been a downgrade, from the R-2800-34(W) to the R-2800-30(W), although I know that the dash numbers don't always go chronologically. The HP numbers for the two engines I've been able to find are all over the place, but the un/ever-reliable Wiki has it as 2400hp for the -34(W) and 2100hp for the -30(W).

Was the redesigned cowl that important for speed performance between the two models? Also I found
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWrrctCzes

The -30W was upgrade, not downgrade. More knowledgeable people will know more about the reasons why the -30 was more powerful than -34W, however the altitude power was 1600 HP at 22000 ft for the -30W, vs. 1600 HP at ~18200 ft for the -34W. With water injection, the -30W was capable for 1800 HP at 23250 ft, compared with 1850 HP at 15500 ft for the -34W.
No wonder the F8F-2 was considerably a better performer.

Don't go by the dash numbers: the R-2800-34W was a 'C series' engine, while the R-2800-30W was an improved 'E series'; this meant that it had an improved hydraulically operated supercharger while some internal components were stronger. As Tomo has described, the power ratings of the -30W were higher than those of the -34W.

Here are some tables / charts, kindly provided by krieghund.

Thanks for all the information guys, that's really helpful. Why do you think that performance sheet I posted used F8F-1 data for the F8F-2 then? Is that standard practice when the military is upgrading to a new model?

I'm not sure what standard procedure was. You might take a look here, many of SAC sheets can be downloaded, so one can make a better conclusion than by looking at just one chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back