F8F Bearcat Armament

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lightning Guy

Master Sergeant
Apr 29, 2004
I've been trying to find some details of the F8F-2 Bearcat's armament without any luck. Does anyone know whether it was armed with the M2 cannon or a later model? Also, anyone know how many rpg were carried?

Thanks Evan. I was thinking I had seen somewhere that it used M3 cannons but I couldn't find anything to verify that. And I've never seen anything on the ammo loads.

Well, I started with a great and glorious idea of getting my entire thesis done in one semester. I've since given up on that.

Are you sure there even was an F8F-3?
I've heard of the F8F-1 (4 x .50cals) and the F8F-1B and F8F-2 (4 x 20mm) but never an F8F-3.

Good catch, LG, you are right. I had a brain cramp when I replied. I was remembering that everything after the 1B had the 20mm cannons. Too many airplane numbers to remember!

:lol: USAAF/USAF designations have always seemed to be pretty straightforward. The ones that were whacked were the old US Navy designations.
A fine example being two totally different aircraft designated as F4F and F4U, respectively. :tard:

I guess that's why they eventually switched to the Air Force system. ;)

Nonskimmer said:
:lol: USAAF/USAF numbering systems have always seemed to be pretty straightforward. The ones that were whacked were the old US Navy designations.
A fine example being two totally different aircraft designated as F4F and F4U, respectively. :tard:

I guess that's why they eventually switched to the Air Force system. ;)

PBF4UY-3A ?!? :crazy:

dude Mk numbers aint hard to remember, and i have no problem remembering that the horsa Mk.I was in fact the Airspeed A.S.51 Horsa Mk.I, the Mk.II actually being the Airspeed A.S.58 Horsa Mk.II, not .51............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back