F8F Bearcat Armament

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Then you had the air force with the B-26 and the A-26...different manufacturers too! Then after the war, the A-26 was redesignated the B-26, just to thoroughly screw up historians!

Honorable Gents,

While you certainly speak as though you have much more authority on the subject than I do, I double checked a couple of my references as well as checked some web sources for my F8F-3 comment. It appears that other reputable sources such as the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) and my book references beg to differ on the prodigy of the -3 model.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/getinvolved/ocp/N.HTM

I do take your comments very seriously and wonder why the -1 was .50s, the -2 20mike mike and then they would revert back to -3 .50s again. But hey, then again, the French flew them in combat.

Frankly I don't give rip, it is the best damn looking piston engine aircraft I have every seen. If one can find sexual gratification in an airplane, I wish to marry this one!! :D

Happy to be wrong...yet again. Go Rare Bear!

Matt

I saw an F6F-3 and an F8F-2P listedin the lower section and this in the upper section:
Grumman F8F-3 Bearcat Conquest II

Now, there was a Bearcat Conquest I racing airplane (F6F-2). Could it be some kind of mod to an F6F-2?

What book shows that? I am curious because all of my references list up to various levels of -2. Plus, we have one in the museum where I work. If there is a reference to it, I would be curious to see where it is. Are you sure it isn't an F6F-3 Hellcat?

That's a very good point. Or perhaps its even a typo by NASM.

My reference was the URL shown above and my book "Aircraft of WWII/A Visual Encycolpedia" by Sharpe/Scutts/Marsh. This book does contain some editing errors so perhaps the F8F-3 reference too is erroneous.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back