F8F Bearcat Armament

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Honorable Gents,

While you certainly speak as though you have much more authority on the subject than I do, I double checked a couple of my references as well as checked some web sources for my F8F-3 comment. It appears that other reputable sources such as the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) and my book references beg to differ on the prodigy of the -3 model.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/getinvolved/ocp/N.HTM

I do take your comments very seriously and wonder why the -1 was .50s, the -2 20mike mike and then they would revert back to -3 .50s again. But hey, then again, the French flew them in combat.

Frankly I don't give rip, it is the best damn looking piston engine aircraft I have every seen. If one can find sexual gratification in an airplane, I wish to marry this one!!

Happy to be wrong...yet again. Go Rare Bear!

Matt

I saw an F6F-3 and an F8F-2P listedin the lower section and this in the upper section:
Grumman F8F-3 Bearcat Conquest II

Now, there was a Bearcat Conquest I racing airplane (F6F-2). Could it be some kind of mod to an F6F-2?

What book shows that? I am curious because all of my references list up to various levels of -2. Plus, we have one in the museum where I work. If there is a reference to it, I would be curious to see where it is. Are you sure it isn't an F6F-3 Hellcat?

That's a very good point. Or perhaps its even a typo by NASM.

My reference was the URL shown above and my book "Aircraft of WWII/A Visual Encycolpedia" by Sharpe/Scutts/Marsh. This book does contain some editing errors so perhaps the F8F-3 reference too is erroneous.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread