F8F Bearcat radio equipment (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I'm looking for a list/pictures of F8F-1 Bearcat radio/nav equipment. I know that they had ARC-5 radio, APN-1 navigation, APX-1 IFF, Did it have anything else? Anybody have pictures of installed F8F Avionics equipment. I found several radio equipment boxes at a F8F creash site that I'm trying to ID.
thanks in advance
DaveT

I have the flight manual, thanks. It does not have any good pictures of the radio quiepment and how/where it was installed as far as the receivers, transmitters. The flight manual did have the control boxes, but I'm not looking for those.
DaveT

Here is a cutaway if this helps

Attachments

• f8f_cutaway - Copy.jpg
    f8f_cutaway - Copy.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 146
through research and close examination of photos of the equipment I found at a crash site I was able to ID the F8F-1 equipment installed in 1952 as
RT-18/ARC-1 VHF transmitter-receiver
R-23A Receiver
R-4A/ARR-2A homing receiver
Still looking for photos of this equipment installed in a F8F bearcat

Attachments

• Radio Receiver Front.jpg
    Radio Receiver Front.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 193
  • ARC-1 dial front.jpg
    ARC-1 dial front.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Avionics Nav box front.jpg
    Avionics Nav box front.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 119
If you want pictures of just the radios we can get you those, but not installation pictures in a Bearcat.

The top picture is that of an R-23, the LF receiver. It has the late mod with the additional antenna connections.

The middle photo looks like one of the dials from an ARC-1.

The bottom one I don't know.

If you want to see what an ARR-2 looks like I can take a photo of the one I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back