P-51 Radios

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Guys,

As I understand P-51's from the B's to D's had VHF radios in the ETO ie no antenna wires while some in the MTO had them as well. But what of late P-51D's in the MTO that had antenna wires. Why did some have them and some not? Was it a factory thing between Inglewood, California and Dallas, Texas? Were some shipped with MF/AM radio sets then converted to VHF and the antenna wire just left in place?

See the thread ... P51 D Antenna Wire

A couple of diagrams with info...
P-51D antenna_a.jpg

P-51D antenna_b.jpg

P-51D antenna_c.jpg

the source: the net

Yes the SCR 522-A radio set was the VHF system and required the "sword" aerial type AN-104-A. So the antena wire wasn't needed. What is more the SCR 522-A radio set was known as TR.5043 radio in the UK used for the P-51s and P-38s.

The SCR-274-N radio set had been used before the SCR 522-A replaced the SW radio set in 1943, as memo serves. The SCR 274-N and the detrola 438, 535 receivers needed the antenna wire W-106-A

Not necessarily. The antena wire also could be for the a radio range receiver beacon, eg .. the BC 1206A manufactured by the Detrola. In other words having the SCR 522 the AN-104-A mast was used . But if there was the radio ragne receiver BC 1206A installed as well, the wire antenna W-106-A was needed. Just these were two different arials for two devices working with the different frequency. It means that a kind of the radio transmitter/receiver is not the only raeson for having the antenna wire.
If the SCR 274-N was common or not in the MTO it doesn't seem to be the main reason. The wire could be either there or not.
Additionally looking at many pictures with P-51D in it can be stated that it may be very difficult to notice the antenna wire. And this can be the reason for omitting the one often.

The P-51A's sent to India and Burma retained their SCR-274-N HF radios because it enabled them to communicate with the ground troops for CAS. The RAF aircraft in the area had converted to the SCR-522 and thus had to rely on the pilots being properly briefed before setting out on a ground support mission. In fact an additional transmitter was shipped with the P-51A's to ensure that coverage could be used.

P-51B/C aircraft sent to China had radio direction finding equipment installed along with a reduced SCR-274-N installation. Someone did a superb restoration of a China based P-51B a few years back and if I can find my pictures of that I will attach them.

The aircraft in the US that had SCR-522 VHF installed generally had the BC-1206 LF receiver installed so they could receive instructions on standard LF control tower frequencies as well as use the AN Adcock navigational stations. I have four BC-1206 receivers; they were also known as "Detrolas" because that was a major manufacturer of the equipment but not the only one.

A mystery to me is what the fighters used that homed in on their airfields used in the ETO. You find references to that in pilot's personal accounts but it seems that most if not all of the fighters lacked the long wire antenna.

Postwar the BC-1206 disappeared as VHF took over communications but some P-51's and other aircraft had the BC-453 set from the SCR-274-N installation installed instead.

Attachments

• FighterRAdios3.jpg
    FighterRAdios3.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 50
  • FighterRAdios2.jpg
    FighterRAdios2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 60
  • FighterRAdios.jpg
    FighterRAdios.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 8thAFRadios3.jpg
    8thAFRadios3.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 8thAFRadios2.jpg
    8thAFRadios2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 8thAFRadios1.jpg
    8thAFRadios1.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 274in51A.jpg
    274in51A.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 74
  • FighterRAdios4.jpg
    FighterRAdios4.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The P-51A's sent to India and Burma retained their SCR-274-N HF radios because it enabled them to communicate with the ground troops for CAS. The RAF aircraft in the area had converted to the SCR-522 and thus had to rely on the pilots being properly briefed before setting out on a ground support mission. In fact an additional transmitter was shipped with the P-51A's to ensure that coverage could be used.

P-51B/C aircraft sent to China had radio direction finding equipment installed along with a reduced SCR-274-N installation. Someone did a superb restoration of a China based P-51B a few years back and if I can find my pictures of that I will attach them.

The aircraft in the US that had SCR-522 VHF installed generally had the BC-1206 LF receiver installed so they could receive instructions on standard LF control tower frequencies as well as use the AN Adcock navigational stations. I have four BC-1206 receivers; they were also known as "Detrolas" because that was a major manufacturer of the equipment but not the only one.

A mystery to me is what the fighters used that homed in on their airfields used in the ETO. You find references to that in pilot's personal accounts but it seems that most if not all of the fighters lacked the long wire antenna.

Postwar the BC-1206 disappeared as VHF took over communications but some P-51's and other aircraft had the BC-453 set from the SCR-274-N installation installed instead.

Awesome info. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back